Just before transitioning into The Black Series: Phase IV, Hasbro released a final series of Phase III figures mostly based on Attack of the Clones. I'm just now getting around to checking most of these out as it took me awhile to find some of them and, frankly, some of them were a bit dull and I might have passed on them until I found a good deal. Today I'm checking out Anakin Skywalker (Padawan) which depicts Anakin in his Jedi tunic that he wears throughout most of Episode II. I don't think it's entirely off-base to say that Hayden's performance in Episode II might be the weakest of any of the films and yet he really turned things around and did a pretty good job in Episode III. I'm still chalking Hayden's performance up to George Lucas' directing efforts and I find myself really liking Hayden and always hoping that he gets worked into another Star Wars project. I really, really wanted to see him appear as a Force spirit and talk with Kylo Ren in The Rise of Skywalker (the original script for Episode IX was so much better than what we got!). Anyways, let's take a look at this version of Anakin Skywalker after the break...
Height: 6 1/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed abdomen, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Lightsaber hilt and lightsaber blade.
Original Retail Price: $20 dollars
* Surprisingly Anakin Skywalker (Padawan) is largely a retool of the Episode III Anakin Skywalker that was released in the Archive series and Phase I. The belt piece, right forearms, heads, and boots are different but the torso, left arms, and right upper arm are the same. Considering how old that figure is and how much different stuff was needed I really expected this to be a new sculpt.
* Anakin's tunic still is a pretty decent sculpt. The visible textures on the different layers is still nice and he leathery appearance of his outer tunic is well done. His belt is slightly different than the Episode III version though not in any instantly noticeable way.
* If there's a high spot on this figure it's the Anakin Skywalker headsculpt. It's really well done. Even though the hair style has always looked a bit strange Hasbro did manage to nail it here. There's even the little ponytail in the back along with the braid on the side.
* Anakin's boots have some nice weathering effects on them. They actually look like they've been through some action. Maybe this is the dust of Geonosis or the sand of Tatooine?
* While he's an older figure and the design of the joints isn't as smooth and fluid as on the more recent figures Anakin Skywalker can still do most things you'd ask of a Jedi. He's still durable and well articulated so you shouldn't find too many faults with this articulation model. I have one, but I'll get to it in a moment...
* Anakin of course comes with his lightsaber. It's nice looking and made from two pieces so that the blade can be molded from translucent plastic.
* I've reviewed quite a few Star Wars figures over the past few days that have used the older style of elbow articulation and I'm calling all of them out as it's really just frustrating to have this limited range of motion when Hasbro has been using such better elbows for a couple of years now. This is actually a new lower forearm so surely Hasbro could have done something better.
* Two things: First, the peg on the lightsaber feels extremely fragile. This has been a problem with most lightsabers in the line and I wish Hasbro would just offer up a standard lightsaber and a hilt, like they've done for years in the 1/18th scale line off and on. Second, this lightsaber isn't actually Anakin's from Episode II. It's actually Darth Vader's. They're very similar but the black ridges on the lower hilt don't go all the way up on Anakin's Episode II saber.
* It's really frustrating that Hasbro doesn't give every Jedi a robe (something I'm pretty sure they have said that they were going to rectify in the past) but what's even more egregious with Anakin here is that he's missing the fabric under tunic this outfit is supposed to have. The Episode III Anakin already had it, too, so this seems like a weird oversight on Hasbro's part.
Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed in this figure. Ignoring the fact that he has the older articulation style due to being based on a previous release Anakin has the wrong lightsaber, no robe, and he's missing the fabric tunic that should be part of the tunic hanging around his waist. Maybe this guy just got caught between the end of Phase III and the beginning of Phase IV and was given less consideration. Still, he's a pretty Eh and a 1/2 figure that feels below what Hasbro is doing now. Why not give him some extra accessories such as the extra saber he duels Count Dooku with? This guy feels very half baked to me.
Interested in more Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker stuff? I've checked out quite a few plastic renditions of Anakin Skywalker over the past few years including smaller Anakins in the Micro Machines Classic Characters pack, the Royal Starship Repair, the Star Destroyer/ Space Fortress Transforming Action Set, and the first set of Episode 1 Micro Machines, the Black Series Titanium Darth Vader, the 6 inch Black Series Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader, the 40th anniversary Legacy Pack Vader, the Archive Series Anakin Skywalker, the Walgreen's exclusive Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath), the Centerpiece Series Darth Vader, the Hero Mashers Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker Vs. Darth Vader 2 pack, and the Jedi Speeder with Anakin Skywalker, the Micro Force Advent Calendar with Darth Vader w/ snowy boots, the Funko POP! Darth Vader [Bespin] #158, and the Hikari Minis Darth Vader.
442nd Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper, Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
Boba Fett (Carbonized)
C-3PO & Babu Frik
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Phasma (Quicksilver Baton)
Captain Poe Dameron
Chewbacca (Target Exclusive)
Chewbacca (The Force Awakens)
Chewbacca & C-3PO
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Bly
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Fox
Clone Commander Obi-Wan Kenobi
Clone Commander Wolffe
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Emperor Papatine and Throne
Enfys Nest's Swoop Bike/ Enfys Nest
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Jet Trooper
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Han Solo (Exogorth Escape)
Han Solo (Mimban)
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo (The Force Awakens)
Heavy Battle Droid
Heavy Infantry Mandalorian
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Patrol Trooper
Imperial Probe Droid
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Jedi Knight Revan
Knight of Ren (Vicrul)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Lando Calrissian (Solo)
Lando Calrissian (The Empire Strikes Back)
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard)
Luke Skywalker (Death Star Escape)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Luke Skywalker (Skyalker Strikes)
Luke Skywalker (Yavin Ceremony)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Padawan)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia (Bespin Escape)
Princess Leia Organa
Princess Leia Organa (Hoth)
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Red Squadron (R2-D2, R5-D8, and R2-X2)
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey & D-O
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Stormtrooper (With Blast Accessories)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
Vice Admiral Holdo
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
Yoda (Force Spirit)