- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast
Tuesday, November 29, 2016
Road to Rogue One: AT-AT Pilot from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 6 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrist, hinged neck, and a balljointed head.
Accessories: E-11 Blaster
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* The helmet is incredible on this guy. The paintwork is darn near perfect and every little detail is beautifully sculpted. The Imperial Cogs look awesome and their striking red paint really makes them pop. This is without a doubt one of the best helmeted heads we've seen in the Black Series.
* The chest box and connecting tubes are also incredible. There's just so much insane detail here and while it might not be 100% accurate (although it certainly could be) the paint details are excellent. The tubes look really good, too, and they don't interfere with the movement of the head much at all.
* Oh, and the back of the armor looks pretty awesome, too! Again, the sculpting detail and quality of the paint applications on the AT-AT Pilot is some of the best we've seen in the Black Series. I love the cylinders where the tubes go in. Maybe the sides of the circuit board/ back plate should be gold, but they're not jarring to look at or anything.
* The ejection harness is a separate, softer piece of plastic that hangs down over the thighs. It doesn't effect the articulation of the legs at all and it just looks really cool.
* Most of the articulation on the AT-AT Pilot is pretty good. His legs are excellent and move freely, uninhibited by his ejection harness. The mid-torso joint is also really solid. If Hasbro were to ever make a 1/12th scaled AT-AT then this guy could easily sit in the cockpit with no problem. Heck, just a "diorama" cockpit to hold two of these guys and an AT-AT commander would be really fun.
* Like most other Imperial troops, the AT-AT pilot includes a BlasTech E-11 blaster rifle. This is the traditional E-11 sculpt that has been included with the previous Original Trilogy figures and not the updated sculpt included with the Rogue One figures. Of course, this is the film accurate version for the Original Trilogy and even has a silver paint app.
* Maybe this is one of those problems that couldn't really be avoided, but the AT-AT Pilot's shoulder pads really restrict his shoulder movement. I could live with that (begrudgingly) but the restricted elbows are even more aggravating. You can't even get a 90 degree angle of motion on them!
* Also, wouldn't it have been cool it Hasbro had thrown in a gun based on the vintage Kenner accessory?
Old Ben, looks to be one of the strongest yet, so keep checking back for reviews of all of them.
This is the first figure of the AT-AT Pilot I've reviewed on Action Figure Barbecue. I've reviewed plenty of other Black Series figures from Phase III, though, including:
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
X-Wing Pilot Asty