Doctor Aphra comic. I was pretty excited last year when Hasbro announced Doctor Aphra, BT-1, and 0-0-0 as these are the first figures based on books or comics from the New Canon. Hasbro used to release a lot of Expanded Universe/ Legends stuff back in the day, and still does on occasion, so it's nice to see the New Canon supported as well. The various Marvel series have been very, very good with some strong character designs. I picked up BT-1 on my lunch break at a GameStop near my office and, apparently, they were only getting in 1 per store. Weird, huh? GameStop is getting these in separately rather than as cases. Let's check out BT-1 after the break...
Height: 3 3/8ths inches
Articulation: 6 rolling wheels, 3 hinged ankles, sliding middle leg,
swivel side legs, 2 hinged chest panels, 2 hinged interior arms, and a
Accessories: 2 leg panels, 2 dome panels, and 4 attachable
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* When his weapons are hidden BT-1 looks like any other astromech from the dome down. That being said Hasbro simply reused the same sculpt they've been using since R2-D2 was released in the first series of Phase I figures back in 2013 (I bought that figure about a week or so after my daughter was born). For full details on the sculpt and such you may want to check back on that review or any of the other astromech sets that have been released.
* I love the look of BT-1. You might think of other black astromech droids, such as R2-Q5, but he's actually a more grayish or gunmetal color. The paint applications are good and everything is very neat and clean. Of course, most of the appeal of BT-1 is when he has all of his weapon systems attached, but we'll get there in a moment.
* The dome is completely new and unique to Beetee. I love the large orange "eye" as it manages to make him look so incredibly menacing. There are lots of cool little details on the dome including some sort of sensor-like device on top. There are two removable panels on the sides. When these come off, you can attach two of his various weapons to the dome.
* Like every other R2 or R5 unit, BT-1 features two hinged panels on the
front of the
body that open up. Inside is a hinged claw arm on the left and a data
port/ universal computer interface arm on the right. While they're part
of the reused sculpt, these little features are still a lot of fun and give him even more crazy stuff popping out of his mechanical body.
* BT-1 also features the same retractable third leg that the other astromechs have. It still works just fine although if they ever completely redo this sculpt I'd like for the leg just to slide in and out rather than to lower by swiveling the dome.
* When you remove the leg panels you can attach some of BT-1's armaments. First up, on his right leg, is what looks like a series of three concussion grenades. Presumably this is a grenade launcher of some sort? It plugs in easily and stays attached fairly well.
* On the left is what looks like some sort of electrical weapons, perhaps? Or maybe flamethrowers? Who knows? Just pretend it's something destructive and you'll be good.
This looks like a missile launcher, perhaps filing a number of smaller missiles. It's also articulated (with a swivel/ hinge launcher and a hinged base) and it looks really cool. Remember how pissed everyone was back in the day because the POTF2 R5-D4 had a missile launcher and laser cannons on his legs? I wonder if BT-1 was inspired by that figure in any way?
* The biggest problem with this figure is something that has plagued this figure since the first time it was used: It's too small! Astromechs are a bit larger than Hasbro has produced them in this line. At this point, barring an updated R2-D2, I'd kind of prefer they not change things up since they're all in scale. Still, it is a flaw worth pointing out.
* This one might be hard to depict but BT-1 has legs that are fairly rubbery. This is unique to him over other astromechs and it's problematic because it: A. Makes his legs look a bit off and B. Makes his accessory snap in more loosely than on other droids.
This is the first figure of BT-1 (Beetee) I've reviewed. For more Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III figures check out the following:
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Phasma (Quicksilver Baton)
Captain Poe Dameron
Chewbacca (Target Exclusive)
Chewbacca (The Force Awakens)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Wolffe
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Enfys Nest's Swoop Bike/ Enfys Nest
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Han Solo (Exogorth Escape)
Han Solo (Mimban)
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo (The Force Awakens)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Patrol Trooper
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Lando Calrissian (Solo)
Lando Calrissian (The Empire Strikes Back)
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia (Bespin Escape)
Princess Leia Organa
Princess Leia Organa (Hoth)
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Red Squadron (R2-D2, R5-D8, and R2-X2)
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Stormtrooper (With Blast Accessories)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
Vice Admiral Holdo
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run