I've already reviewed in great detail I will be mostly focusing on the new elements. Feel free to check out that review to get the full picture. Ready to jump in for a look at this figure? Then join me after the break...
Height: 6 3/4 inches tall from his boots to the top of his dome.
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs,
ball jointed hips, ball jointed abdomen, swivel/ hinge shoulders,
swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge left wrist, swivel right wrist, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: 2 piece lightsaber (hilt and blade) and a removable right hand.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* The best, and most striking, thing about this figure is the new head. Not only is this a translucent purple Darth Vader helmet to represent him getting zapped by Emperor Palpatine's Force Lightning but it's also an entirely new and more accurate sculpt. If Hasbro ever chose to simply paint this headsculpt back (or if you did it yourself) this would be a great sculpt for a future Vader.
extremely faithful to the film and looks pretty cool. It's tough to get a good shot of this but the paintwork underneath does a nice job of showing some Force lightning ripples along his skull. I'm really curious to see someone split this thing open and show off the interior skull sculpt. How weird will it be if Hasbro reuses this sculpt painted black as I mentioned above? We'll always know there's a little skull underneath Vader's helmet...
* To recreate Vader losing his right hand (again!), Vader's right hand easily slips out of the wrist socket. Not only is this a fun feature (which the original figure should really have had) but the forearm has some nicely painted little wires around it. This looks pretty cool. Mix this Vader body with the Anakin head from the first Vader and you have a really cool redeemed version of Anakin.
* Darth Vader comes with the same lightsaber that the 2014 figure included and it still features a removable blade. The other extra is Vader's mechanical right hand. It simply plugs into Vader's right forearm and fits snugly but is easily removable.
* I just wanted to mention that the paint work on this figure is incredible. It's even nicer and neater than the original figure. Hasbro is really doing a much better job with the paint applications on many of their figures (at least their 6 inch collectors lines) and the fact that a retail exclusive looks so good really shows the level of quality they've been achieving lately.
* Any negatives I have with this figure really have to do with some problems with the original figure, so check out that review. For this figure exclusively, I do wish that Hasbro had included a cloud of Force lightning to fit over the torso or some strands of lightning that the Emperor could utilize as well. Otherwise, I think that this extremely scene specific variant is actually a better figure than the original Black Series Vader.
I've already mentioned that I've reviewed the 2014 Black Series Phase II Darth Vader but I've also reviewed the Hero Mashers Luke Skywalker Vs. Darth Vader, basic Anakin Skywalker, and the vehicle set Jedi Speeder & Anakin Skywalker.
Of course, I've reviewed a mess of other Star Wars: The Black Series figures, including:
Star Wars: The Black Series (6 inch) by Hasbro (2013)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
Princess Leia (Slave Outfit)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase II (6 inch) by Hasbro (2014)
Boba Fett (Prototype Armor)
Clone Commander Cody
Clone Trooper Captain
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III (6 inch) by Hasbro (2015)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
- Evil-Lyn's Dungeon
- The Fright Zone
- The Wonderdome
- Spawn Alley
- The Royal Junkyard
- Fortress Vader
- The Fortress of Solitude