- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
- Evil-Lyn's Dungeon
- The Fright Zone
- The Wonderdome
- Spawn Alley
- The Royal Junkyard
- Fortress Vader
- The Fortress of Solitude
Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Action Figure Review: X-Wing Pilot Asty from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 6 1/4 inches tall
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Glie-44 blaster pistol and a helmet.
Non-Scalper Price: $18-$22 dollars.
* Asty's articulation is very similar to Poe Dameron's, which was excellent, but Asty actually has a completely unique body sculpt from what I can tell. Even with all of the various straps and tubes attached to him you should have no problem putting Asty in lots of cool positions. He feels nice and sturdy, too, which is a positive trait that most figures in this line have. These are excellent toys.
*The sculpt on Asty is incredible. The head sculpt is incredible and very perfectly captures the likeness of the character. The Abednedo have a really great design that feels very much like something we would have seen in the Original Trilogy (particularly ROTJ) and all of the details present really help to make this one of the most life-like Black Series figures.
* I love the look of the Resistance pilots in The Force Awakens. The outfits are just really interesting because there's so much going on. The "Interstellar Orange" color to the flight suits looks incredible and the various doodads like life support unit and cord, the bandoliers of signal flares on the left shin, and the flight harnesses really make these figures feel very rugged and busy in a great way. They look like actual fighter pilots.
* While some of the Black Series figures have very flat, basic paint schemes, others receive some extremely detailed paint jobs which utilize techniques such as washes and dry brushing to give them a lived in look. Asty's outfit actually, particularly his off-white vest, actually looks like it's been through some stuff as it looks weathered and perhaps a bit dirty.
* Asty comes with a unique helmet to fit his uniquely shaped cranium. Not only is the paint work on this incredibly detailed and accurate but it has a cool little message spelled out in aurebesh on the right chin guard: It says "Born to Ill." Yup, another Beastie Boys reference.
* The Glie-44 seems to be the default pistol for most of the Resistance, so it makes sense that Asty comes with one, too. It's a really nice looking piece. The paintwork on it really brings this pistol to life. In all honesty, it's probably one of the nicest looking blasters in the Black Series to date.
* Asty has a small holster for his blaster pistol, too. It's on his right hip and it's angled out a bit so that it's functional whether he's walking around or sitting in the pilot's seat. You know, in case he wants to pull of a drive by on some First Order punks. Straight out of Coruscant, haters!
Oh, and the pistol fits inside really securely, so no worries about it falling out.
* The only technical negative I have with Asty is that there is a bit of paint bleed on between his flight vest and his flight suit.
*There's also the negative that Asty is a pretty minor character who bites the big Bantha burrito of death pretty shortly after being introduced. We have a TFA Ello Asty figure, but no Luke, Leia, or Maz Kanata. Makes sense...
If you're interested in Star Wars: The Black Series, check out all of the other figures I've reviewed in this series:
Star Wars: The Black Series (6 inch) by Hasbro (2013)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
Princess Leia (Slave Outfit)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase II (6 inch) by Hasbro (2014)
Boba Fett (Prototype Armor)
Clone Commander Cody
Clone Trooper Captain
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Han Solo & Tauntaun
Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Princess Leia Organa (Boushh)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III (6 inch) by Hasbro (2015)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5