Visual Dictionary to look for all the cool stuff I want to keep an eye out for during the second showing. The battle on Scarif was absolutely fantastic and I imagine the Scarif Stormtroopers (officially called Shoretroopers) will quickly become a troop building favorite. While they didn't have a ton of screen time, they just looked absolutely incredible. I reviewed the standard Shoretrooper a couple of weeks ago, so here's a look at the Squad Leader. More Star Wars goodness after the break...
Warning!!! Minor spoilers after the break!!!
Height: 6 1/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed
hips, ball jointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge
elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, a hinged neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: E-22 Blaster rifle
Non-Scalper Price: $17-$20 dollars (Wal-Mart has advertised some sales on these guys, as have a few other retailers)
* Largely based on the body of the Hovertank Pilot, (and shared with the standard trooper) the Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader has the same excellent articulation that figure
had. I absolutely love this guy, too, and I don't think a day has gone by
since I received him in the mail that I didn't pick him up and spend a
few minutes posing him. He just moves so well and looks incredible in firing positions. The kama doesn't hurt his articulation at all.
* The helmets are really, really cool on the Scarif Stormtroopers. The heavily armored piece on the brow actually houses some cooling fans since the armor is designed for a tropical environment (plus it looks really cool). The paint is really cool, though, as there's actually a dirty
wash on the helmet as well as a unique design on the top right. I wonder if that's supposed to be a representation of the Death Star?
* Here's a look at the main torso. This is an incredible armor design
with some killer paint apps. Hasbro doesn't always use subtle effects
like these on their figures so it really stands out here. I'm also
digging the red and yellow design on his right bicep as well as the blue stripe on the shoulder pads and across the chest.
* Here's a closer look at the Squad Leader's kama. Along with the paintwork on his chest armor and his rifle, the kama is what really differentiates him from the standard trooper. The sculpt is actually impressive and, thanks to the cut in the plastic, it really doesn't hinder his articulation much at all. Not only does this just work well but it makes me all the more excited to get an ARC Trooper in the line at some point.
* The Scarif Stormtroopers are wearing some pretty slick boots. I love the
details on them (the knee pads are also asymmetrical, just like a
standard Stormtrooper's footwear) and the paint weathering continues
down here. Hasbro really has done an amazing job with the paintwork
here. It's a huge improvement over many other figures in the history of the line.
* Unlike the standard Scarif Stormtrooper, the Squad Leader comes with a unique weapon: The E-22 Blaster Rifle. An upgrade from the standard E-11, the E-22 features reciprocating double barrels and a more solid stock. It also has a few paint apps including some silver dry brushing and a red tab or switch on the stock. This is just a cool weapon, quickly becoming one of my favorites.
I've now reviewed a few Scarif Stormtroopers, including the Wal-Mart exclusive Black Series Scarif Stormtrooper and the Scarif Stormtrooper Captain Micro Machines microfigure. Of course, if you're looking for more Star Wars: The Black Series reviews, check out the following figures from Phase III:
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib