- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
- Evil-Lyn's Dungeon
- The Fright Zone
- The Wonderdome
Monday, January 20, 2020
Wrapping Up 2019: Chewbacca & C-3PO from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 7 3/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, "boot" swivels, swivel/hinge knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, and a double balljointed head.
Accessories: E-11 blaster rifle and bandolier.
Height: 5 3/4ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, hinged knees, thigh swivels, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel shoulder covers, bicep swivel/hinge elbows with hinged pistons, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a balljointed head.
Accessories: Alternate "wire" arms, leg wires, and carrying net.
Non-Scalper Price: $50 for the set
* On the left is the Chewbacca from this set while on the right is the Target exclusive Chewbacca from Solo. While the paint, accoutrements, and headsculpts are different, the base bodies are the same.
* This Empire Strikes back version of C-3PO (center) is a mixture of a few previous releases. There are definitely elements from the first Original Trilogy C-3PO (left) while the newer protocol droid elements from the Target exclusive C-3PO & Babu Frik (right) are included here, too. The joints are all very different, though, as this new C-3PO can be disassembled. (Ugnaughts sold separately!)
* Chewbacca uses the limbs from the original Black Series figure but he's got the newer torso from the Solo figure. He looks pretty good. I like the size and the new paint details. I really, really like the Solo Chewbacca, but this is probably my 2nd favorite Black Series Chewbacca release.
* The headsculpt is quite good and features the parted fur, which is a good luck. This is a fairly neutral looking Chewie, so he's useful for multiple scenes and not just scenes where he's using his Wookie rage.
* This is a great looking bandolier. The colors are much, much nicer than on any of the previous releases, and the paint job is excellent with everything being very neat and clean.
* This version of Chewie certainly isn't one of the most well articulated figures in the line, but I think he does everything you really need him to do. He's still fairly well articulated, but with the older limbs not every movement has the range of motion that newer figures have shown.
* Rather than his bowcaster, Chewie is carrying the E-11 he uses on Cloud City during the escape after Han is frozen in Carbonite. It's screen accurate and works for this version of the character.
* This is a fantastic looking C-3PO that uses the new elbows with functioning pistons that first appeared with 4-LOM in 2018. Not only is this a great build but the colors look good and there's a nice amount of grime and such on C-3PO. Now if you're planning to use this as your default Threepio, well, you may not appreciate all of the wear and tear, but it is very fitting for his horrifying experiences on Cloud City and it helps him stand out from the other C-3PO figures released in the Black Series.
* I love the headsculpt here. Honestly, doesn't Threepio actually look alarmed? His eyes and mouth seriously make him look very concerned about his predicament, which is just so fitting for the character.
* When you Google "C-3PO's silver leg" you're absolutely going to find lots of articles and such claiming that C-3PO being all gold is an example of the Mandela Effect. That's true, although it changes a bit depending on which film you're watching. In TESB, C-3PO's lower leg is silver but his foot remains gold. I love that Hasbro nailed this detail here! It's always great to see the little stuff like this captured.
* While C-3PO isn't know for being the most mobile guy around, he still has a pretty great complement of articulation featuring every joint you'd expect from a Black Series figure. The joints are really well worked out to fit the droid's body, though, as the mid-torso joint is right above the mass of wires at his stomach and his hinged knees function in the way you'd expect due to the design of the costume. He's another quality, durable figure from Hasbro.
* He can also fall apart! I love it! Yes, Hasbro gives you the opportunity to live the Ugnaught lifestyle by making C-3PO able to be disassembled. The limbs and legs simply pull out. It's not too hard and it definitely allows for lots of crazy hijinks.
* To make C-3PO look even better when disassembled he has some extra pieces to give his sockets the look of having loose wires trailing out of them. These wired massed plug into his shoulders easily and really give the figure a nice "battle damaged" effect.
* For Threepio's legs you get too "cuffs" that fit over the hip hinges. There's a lot of color here and it also nicely gives the impression of C-3PO's limbs having been brutally removed by some barbarians!
* To better tote C-3PO around the set comes with a net. This can go across Chewie's back so that he can carry the droid with him, just like in The Empire Strikes Back.
* Doesn't that look great? Seriously, this really turned out to be a nice set. Next up I'd love to see a new version of Luke and Darth Vader from their duel at Bespin. I just want more figures from The Empire Strikes Back, really.
* Chewie looks great from the side or at an angle but looking at him head on definitely shoes that his eyes aren't perfectly straight.
For more Chewbacca reviews check out the following: The Smuggler's Bounty Funko POP! Chewbacca #63 [Flocked], the Black Series Phase II Chewbacca, Phase III Chewbacca, and the Solo Chewbacca, the Hasbro Micro Machines R2-D2 playset with a micro Chewbacca, the Galoob Micro Machines Chewbacca as Snoova from the Bounty Hunters set, the Hero Mashers Chewbacca, and the Micro Force Chewbacca and Santa Chewbacca from the Advent Calendar.
If C-3PO is your favorite protocol droid, check out the Black Series classic version, the Black Series Resistance Base version, and the C-3PO & Babu Frik set, my daughter's Hero Mashers C-3PO, the Galoob's Classic Characters (2nd Edition) set, the Micro Machines C-3PO/ Cantina transforming playset, Ice Planet Hoth playset, and the C-3PO minihead set, the Micro Force series 1 C-3PO and the Micro Force advent calendar C-3PO w/ Santa Hat, the POP! C-3PO [Unfinished], and the Kinder Joy C-3PO.
For more Star Wars: The Black Series figures check out the following:
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
This is a fun set. Glad I purchased one as well.ReplyDelete
Yeah, Hasbro did a heck of a job with this one.Delete