- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
Thursday, March 3, 2016
Action Figure Review: Resistance Trooper from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 6 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed abdomen, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/ hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: EL-16HFE blaster and a helmet w/ hinged face guard.
Non-Scalper Price: $18-$20 dollars
* The Resistance Trooper's helmet is what will immediately catch your eye. Well, his goggles in particular. They're cast in an almost neon, translucent yellow, but they look great. They're definitely not banana lenses, if that's what you're afraid of. The face sculpt of the Trooper underneath is excellent. It's amazing how well Hasbro captured the likeness of a background character like this guy but yet often struggles with the likenesses of the main cast.
* The coolest feature of the helmet is that the armored face guard can swing down and lock into place, providing better protection in battle. It kind of snaps into place and looks really good. It definitely goes a long way towards making the Resistance Trooper a more interesting figure.
* Here's a closer look at the helmet. The paintwork on it really is pretty incredible. There are apparently two versions of the helmet: This one and one that is more of a greenish color. As you might be wondering, is the Resistance Trooper's helmet really removable? Good question. I don't think this is an intended feature but when I received mine the helmet was loose and can go back on just fine. If you want to use the helmet for something else, now you have the option.
EL-16HFE blaster rifle. It's the same rifle that came with the Target exclusive Poe Dameron and seems to be a favorite of the Resistance. I love the design of this blaster and Hasbro has done it justice, including giving it a nice weathered appearance. Oh, and what to know what the HFE stands for in the blaster's name? Heavy Field Edition, as opposed to the standard version of the blaster which came with Finn.
* While most of the articulation on this guy is on par with the other figures in this series, it's a real bummer that he can't hold his rifle correctly. The range of motion on his shoulders and elbows prevents him from attaining a proper two-handed firing pose. That's pretty much the only thin this guy needed to be able to do, right? Shoot at the First Order?
* I'm not really considering this a negative since I don't think the helmet was really intended to be removed, but here's what the Trooper's head looks like without the helmet. He 's wearing a leather looking hood that has some nice design elements on the sides but you can also see the top of the head is molded to hold the helmet. There was some sort of glue in place but it must not have held the helmet on too tightly (the helmet stays on the head just fine by itself, though).
I haven't reviewed any other Resistance Troopers, but I have reviewed plenty of other figures in Star Wars: The Black Series, including:
Star Wars: The Black Series (6 inch) by Hasbro (2013)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
Princess Leia (Slave Outfit)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase II (6 inch) by Hasbro (2014)
Boba Fett (Prototype Armor)
Clone Commander Cody
Clone Trooper Captain
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Princess Leia Organa (Boushh)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III (6 inch) by Hasbro (2015)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5