- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- The Batgirl Library
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast
Tuesday, April 2, 2019
Action Figure Review: Padme Amidala from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 5 1/2 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, balljointed neck, and a balljointed head
Accessories: E-5 Blaster rifle, 2 interchangeable right hands, Q2 hold-out blaster.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* Hasbro continues on their hot streak as Padme Amidala is another incredible figure that just absolutely nails the character. While this isn't an incredibly complex outfit or anything, Hasbro still did an impressive job of bringing it to life. The fit of the suit looks great and the various details of the material appear to be accurately sculpted. The silver cuffs on her shoulders look great and actually have a bit of a reflective shine to them.
* Hasbro has now been using the face printing technology on the Black Series figures for over a year now and the results are incredible. It's tougher to tell through photos but in person these figures look amazing. The eyes and facial features are incredibly real. heck, Hasbro even captured Natalie Portman's beauty marks, too. It really is a great likeness.
* The articulation on Padme is nearly as good as on any other figure. She feels solid, well made, and you can get some great poses out of her. The presence of the balljointed neck and balljointed head go even further to help her take some subtler, more expressive poses. While the cape (which isn't easily removable) does affect things a little bit it's not a crazy problem or anything.
* The cape does look pretty nice, though. I can't recall what it's supposed to be made from in canon but the accessory does have a nifty texture to it.
* Padme's boots are really cool, too. Very complicated with an unusual mixture of straps and such.
* Padme's belt is a separate piece that rests on her hips. It has a couple small sculpted pouches on it and a holster that can fit the included Q2 hold-out blaster easily.
* Padme includes two blasters, the first of which is an E2 blaster rifle. It's one of the Battle Droid blasters that Padme gets her hands on while on Geonosis. The paintwork on this blaster is even better than on the Battle Droid figure, which is a nice touch.
* The Q2 blaster is quite cool as well. It's a really tiny pistol (remember how tiny these were on the original Episode 1 Queen Amidala figure?) that Padme can wield menacingly in her hand or tote around in her holster.
* Since Padme comes with two blasters that have very differently sized grips, Padme comes with two differently sculpted hands. One had a wider grip for the E2 while the second has a slimmer grip for the Q2. They require a little pressure to take out so maybe use some heat or pull with a firm, steady grip.
* The hand with the larger grip is actually very loose and often flops around when Padme is gripping the E2. Might just be a molding fluke on mine, but it's worth noting.
* Padme's cloak is not really intended to be removed. It's removable if you remove the head but you might need some heat for that. The head isn't made to be easily removable which is a shame. Having the cape be removable would have been a great feature. I mean, it's still doable but not easily doable.
I haven't been able to review a lot of Queen/ Senator Padme Amidala stuff on the site. The only other appearance of Queen Amidala/ Padme in any of my reviews is as a non-removable figure in the Micro Machines Naboo Temple Ruins playset and as a Padme Naberrie microfigure in the Royal Starship Repair Micro Machines playset.
For more Star Wars: The Black Series figures check out the following:
442nd Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper, Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Phasma (Quicksilver Baton)
Captain Poe Dameron
Chewbacca (Target Exclusive)
Chewbacca (The Force Awakens)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Wolffe
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Enfys Nest's Swoop Bike/ Enfys Nest
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Han Solo (Exogorth Escape)
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo (The Force Awakens)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Patrol Trooper
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Lando Calrissian (Solo)
Lando Calrissian (The Empire Strikes Back)
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia (Bespin Escape)
Princess Leia Organa
Princess Leia Organa (Hoth)
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Red Squadron (R2-D2, R5-D8, and R2-X2)
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Stormtrooper (With Blast Accessories)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty