- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
Sunday, May 20, 2018
Road to Solo: Lando Calrissian from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Why, it's a new Lando Calrissian action figure! Last year Hasbro released the first Lando Calrissian figure in the Black Series and it's taken them another year to release the second: Lando Calrissian as played by Donald Glover from the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story. Donald Glover seems like perfect casting for a young Lando Calrissian and he certainly seems ready to bring the same charm, suaveness, and charisma to the new film that Billy Dee Williams brought to the Original trilogy. I'm currently reading the Last Shot novel by Daniel Jose Older and so far I think Older has nailed Lando's "voice" in the text of the books. I have high hopes that Donald Glover will do the same in Solo and, looking at the trailers and such, I don't think I will be disappointed. I do have to say that I have some disappointments with this figure, however, and those are due to two quality control issues. I can only think of a couple of other Black Series figures that have given me true problems, so it's a bit unusual for one figure to have two. Let's check out the action figure and see how it fairs after the break...
Height: 6 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, ball jointed neck, and a double ball jointed head.
Accessories: Two-piece blaster, scarf, and cape.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* One of the things that stands out about Lando is his costume. The bright yellow shirt is absolutely a different look for the line and adds a pop of color to your Black Series collection. Since Hasbro has been fairly lacking in adding lots of colorful background characters and aliens, the line has mostly been comprised of characters in white, black, and brown costumes. Lando looks slick and just seems to add some needed visual variety to the line. This is a great costume design that captures Lando's style and appeal perfectly.
* Hasbro went for a headsculpt with an expression on it and I think it paid off here. I definitely hope we get another version of Glover's Lando at some point with a smiling headsculpt but here we have Lando with a raised eyebrow. I think it works well and adds some more character to the figure. The paint apps are spot on thanks to the face printing technology, including Lando's slick facial hair.
* Lando has two clothing accessories: A cape and a scarf. Let's start with the scarf. It's a separate piece and Lando can wear it by itself. It fits around his neck and is made from a softer, more rubbery plastic that works wonderfully. I love the black and white pattern on it, too. Very cool and unique.
* Lando also comes with a cape. This cape is made from a rubbery material as well and is much better than the cape that cam with the ESB Lando Calrissian last year. The outside is black, the inside is blue, and the style is pure coolness.
* Lando comes with a very cool pistol. It looks like an SE-14 pistol. It's definitely not the standard Separatist SE-14, so maybe an SE-14R? It's a beautiful design and it molded in a very attractive silver color. It also has a long barrel that adds to its elegance.
* It's a small thing but I love this ring that Lando is sporting on his left hand. Pretty slick, right? Don't you want to see Lando punch an Imperial while wearing that thing? I do!
* So... Lando's blaster is supposed to have a detachable barrel. I've seen this in many other reviews and it seems necessary in order to fit his blaster into his holster. As soon as I attempted to take the barrel off, though, it snapped. What you see here is my careful work of burrowing into the barrels of the blaster with a small tool and adding in a metal peg to allow the gun to still function. Cool feature but so odd that mine snapped off right away. Be careful!
* Lando has a separate belt with a holster for the blaster, but the holster is kind of tough to use. The barrel has to slip down into a hole and then the other loops actually wrap around like so. It just seems a bit overly complex and frustrating to get it to work.
* The second quality control issue I had with Lando is with his left elbow. It might be kind of tough to see but there is some extra plastic impeding the hinge of his left elbow. When I tried to move it the lower arm popped out of the hinge socket. I had to trim the "flash" back a bit and pop it back in. It works fine now but it freaked me out at first. I haven't had one of the arms pop out of socket in his line before!
The only other Lando Calrissian figure I've reviewed is the Empire Strikes Back Lando Calrissian from The Black Series: Phase III.
For more Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III figures, check out the following:
442nd Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper, Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Poe Dameron
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Chewbacca (Target Exclusive)
Chewbacca (The Force Awakens)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo (The Force Awakens)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty