first Finn figure from the Black Series but now, as I'm reviewing Finn in his Stormtrooper gear as FN-2187 from the first series of 2016 figures, I'm not flying blind. Having seen the film, read the novelization of the film by Alan Dean Foster, and having read Greg Rucka's Before the Awakening, I have a great appreciation for Finn as a character. John Boyega was a perfect addition to the cast and I'm really excited to see how his character develops over time. I'm really excited that Hasbro has released this version of Finn because while it's simply a Finn head on the already released (multiple times) First Order Stormtrooper body, it represents a crucial aspect of Finn's character and brings into action figure form one of the first images we saw in the original teaser trailer from 2014. I've reviewed the main body a few times now so I won't be focusing on that aspect of Finn as much in this review. I will be focusing on what makes this figure unique, though. Ready for a closer look at FN-2187? Then join me after the break...
Height: 6 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs,
ball jointed hips, ball jointed mid torso, swivel/hinge shoulders,
swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a ball
Accessories: F-11D blaster rifle, SE-44C pistol, and a Stormtrooper helmet.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* I love this figure. Finn is so fun to play and put in a variety of poses, even though he didn't do a lot of fighting in the film in this outfit. According to Before the Awakening he was absolutely one heck of a Stormtrooper in training, though, so feel free to reenact some scenes from that book, particularly when he fights FN-2199 (aka "Nines") in melee weapons training under Captain Phasma.
Jakku version from last year. It looks to have a slightly more passive expression and differently shaped eyebrows. They're close, but different. The head is molded in a slightly darker plastic which I think makes Finn look a bit more like he's covered in sweat, perhaps reflecting the panic attack he has on Jakku at the village of Tuanul. I think Hasbro has really nailed John Boyega's likeness two times now. Let's hope they get Daisy Ridley's as perfect when the inevitable Rey wielding a lightsaber figure comes out.
* I've reviewed multiple versions of the base body now with the First Order Stormtrooper, First Order Stormtrooper Officer, and the First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper. I really love this sculpt and it still looks great here with crisp, clean paint applications and a brilliant white color used for the armor. Read those reviews for further details!
* To me, this helmet is what makes this figure. It is a removable piece but I think it looks great on Finn; it doesn't appear overly large or cumbersome. FN-2003's smeared blood across the face plate is a really striking detail and is something we don't often see on mass market released figures. I love how scene specific this accessory is as it represents the final straw that causes Finn to abandon the First Order.
* Finn also comes equipped with the standard F-11D blaster rifle and SE-44C pistol that all of the First Order Stormtroopers have come with so far. They feature nice, accurate paint applications and either weapon can snap into the holster on Finn's right hip.
*The only negative I have about this figure is the same negative I had with the basic First Order Stormtrooper: His elbows aren't double jointed. The previous Imperial Stormtroopers from the Black Series have had double jointed elbows and they absolutely help in achieving better weapon holding poses.
As far as I can remember, Finn only had three distinct looks in The Force
Awakens: The Stormtrooper armor, just his Stormtrooper
body glove, and wearing Poe Dameron's jacket over his body glove. Only one to go, right?
I've reviewed the Finn (Jakku) figure already, along with plenty of other Black Series figures, including:
Star Wars: The Black Series (6 inch) by Hasbro (2013)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
Princess Leia (Slave Outfit)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase II (6 inch) by Hasbro (2014)
Boba Fett (Prototype Armor)
Clone Commander Cody
Clone Trooper Captain
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III (6 inch) by Hasbro (2015)
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
- Evil-Lyn's Dungeon
- The Fright Zone
- The Wonderdome
- Spawn Alley
- The Royal Junkyard
- Fortress Vader
- The Fortress of Solitude