- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- Hokey Halloween Horror!!!
- My Batgirl Collection!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Dark Knight
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Gallery
Tuesday, August 30, 2016
Action Figure Review: Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016 Exclusive) from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 6 1/4 inches tall
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, mid-torso ball joint, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Lightsaber, unignited Lightsaber hilt, First Order banner, pole, and display base, alternate helmeted portrait, cloak, belt, and Darth Vader's helmet.
Non-Scalper Price: $25 dollars.
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
In this review I'll be focusing on what is new and different with this release.
* I'm totally digging this unmasked Ben Solo portrait. While the paint is Hasbro level paintwork (not groundbreaking or anything) the sculpt is killer: This is absolutely Adam Driver as Ben Solo/ Kylo Ren. I love the intense look on his face!
* The Kylo Ren helmet is not actually a helmet that fits over the Adam Driver headsculpt; it's actually a separate portrait. It swaps rather easily and looks really good. I actually think it's a retool of the previous releases as it looks a bit more detailed and accurate. The paintwork is much better, too.
* The flashiest accessory that this figure comes from is a First Order banner with a First Order display stand. The bright red really stands out against the First Order troops and the fact that it's an actual cloth banner adds to the realism. I think General Hux would look particularly impressive standing here, wouldn't you agree?
* I think this is the accessory selling this set to most fans and, let me tell you, it's every bit as cool as you've imagined. I love the charred look of this piece. The paintwork is quite good and does an excellent job of capturing the aging and damage this helmet has underwent. It's an incredible piece that I cannot believe has not made it into any figures yet up to this point.
* Kylo Ren comes with his now infamous Lightsaber. The first version's saber featured a removable blade as well as a weird energy arc effect to it. Here, Hasbro gives us the standard Kylo Ren lightsaber without any removable parts. This saber is just for fighting and looking menacing. It also has an upgraded sculpt and paintjob.
* Kylo Ren comes with an unlit lightsaber hilt. The K-Mart exclusive came with one too but this one has better paint applications and a larger tab on the side to help secure the lightsaber onto a belt.
* Yes, yet another upgrade over both previously released Kylo Ren figures is that the new lightsaber hilt can plug into the side of the figure's belt. It stays quite well and gives you a place to store the hilt when displaying the figure. I'm digging this little extra for sure.
* This box is really nice looking. As you're probably away, I really have to like the packaging before I talk about it. I love this upper body drawing of Kylo Ren and how it meshes so well with the red and black color scheme of Phase III. The box is a 5 panel box with the front flap opening to reveal Kylo Ren and his accessories in a plastic, vacuformed tray. Inside the front panel is a picture of Vader's helmet, ominously lending it's presence to Kylo Ren's journey.
* The bottom of the charred Vader helmet looks really cool and probably authentic, but I kind of wish Hasbro had included some way for Ben Solo to hold the helmet. Both of Ben's hands are standard grips for the lightsaber and don't really allow him to hold the helmet in any way except if you tuck it into his arms like a football.
and the K-Mart exclusive Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base) set. Of course, a miniature Kylo Ren also came with the Micro Machines First Order Star Destroyer playset which I absolutely loathed.
If you're interested in more reviews from Star Wars: The Black Series, check them out here:
Star Wars: The Black Series (6 inch) by Hasbro (2013)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
Princess Leia (Slave Outfit)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase II (6 inch) by Hasbro (2014)
Boba Fett (Prototype Armor)
Clone Commander Cody
Clone Trooper Captain
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Han Solo & Tauntaun
Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Luke Skywalker & Wampa
Princess Leia Organa (Boushh)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III (6 inch) by Hasbro (2015)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
X-Wing Pilot Asty