capes, cloaks, and even scarves, but Luke's tunic is a little different as it's more of a fitted garment rather than something that hangs loose and free. Want to see how things worked out? Then join me after the break...
Height: 5 3/4 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel biceps, double hinged elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, a hinged neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Tunic, belt, lightsaber hilt with removable blade, and macrobinouclars.
Non-Scalper Price: $18-$20 dollars
* If you want to look at one thing this figure does absolutely right, it's the articulation. Since he's covered by his tunic, Hasbro went with an incredibly well designed torso for Luke that features double-hinged elbows and a really effective mid-torso joint. He's definitely one of the most well articulated figures in this series and is tons of fun to play with. Even two handed lightsaber poses work well with this guy.
* This isn't a bad portrait of a young Luke Skywalker, although it's not as good as the X-Wing Pilot version of Luke from 2013. Still, I like the design of the hair. I think Hasbro did a much better job on Luke's hair color than they tend to do. I've seen them do Luke with brown, yellow, two-tone, and even pink hair in my time, and I think this option was better than much of what they've done.
* So, let's talk a little bit about Hasbro's decision to give Luke a soft goods tunic because it's really a mixed bag. I think soft goods can work really well on 6-7 inch scaled figures if they're designed right and used for things like cloaks, capes, and other loose fitting or hanging garments. Giving Luke a cloth tunic doesn't work perfectly but they did choose a nice quality material for his garment. It also gives you the option of giving Luke the more open chested look of the Brothers Hildebrandt's classic poster, which honestly looks pretty cool here. I appreciate the effort Hasbro put into this as it's clear they didn't just try to phone things in. I'm also glad they didn't go with a half material/ half plastic look as they've done in the 1/18th scale line before. That just never works for me.
* Of course, Luke comes with his father's lightsaber. While it's always nice to have this, I a starting to build a small collection of the Skywalker lightsaber. This one has a nice dark blue blade and some solid paintwork for an accessory. It also has the appropriate loop so it can hang from Luke's belt.
* Besides the lightsaber and his tunic, Luke comes with two other accessories: His utility belt and a pair of macrobinoculars. These are two really incredible accessories that feature a ton of paint detail on them. The utility belt is really well detailed while the macrobinoculars have some excellent paintwork and can actually attach to the belt. These are some really good accessories; some of the best we've seen in the Black Series, actually.
* It's not a major thing but I just wanted to point out that Luke's boots look awesome. They have a really great dirty looking paint job and kind of a gritty texture to them, too. I can't wait to see Hasbro do a Tusken Raider with this level of detail.
* The robe seems like it could be a tiny bit oversized. The sleeves in particular look just a bit too large and often look awkward in certain poses.
* I think that the bottom of the could have been designed a bit better. Honestly, I kind of wish that there had been some sort of internal waistband or something to help keep the tunic better aligned. It can be tough to work everything out so that it looks good, but when you start posing Luke you'll have to readjust everything again. I honestly wish that Hasbro had gone with a sculpted robe and then included Luke's ponch as a soft goods piece. Seems like a better idea.
Stormtrooper utility belt like Han had. This is a Good figure, but I'm sure Hasbro can sell us a few more variations down the line where we can see improvement.
From the Black Series, I've reviewed a few other Luke Skywalker action figures: Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit), Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot), Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight), Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper Disguise), and Luke Skywalker & Wampa. I've also reviewed the Hero Mashers Luke Skywalker Vs. Darth Vader set.
I've reviewed most every other from the Black Series, including:
Star Wars: The Black Series (6 inch) by Hasbro (2013)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
Princess Leia (Slave Outfit)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase II (6 inch) by Hasbro (2014)
Boba Fett (Prototype Armor)
Clone Commander Cody
Clone Trooper Captain
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Han Solo & Tauntaun
Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Luke Skywalker & Wampa
Princess Leia Organa (Boushh)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III (6 inch) by Hasbro (2015)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
- Evil-Lyn's Dungeon
- The Fright Zone
- The Wonderdome
- Spawn Alley
- The Royal Junkyard
- Fortress Vader
- The Fortress of Solitude