- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
Friday, December 11, 2015
Action Figure Review: Finn (Jakku) from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 5 7/8ths inches tall
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, a hinged neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Blaster pistol and a separate jacket piece.
Non-Scalper Price: $8-$20 dollars
* I absolutely love Finn's headsculpt. This is a really good likeness of actor John Boyega and it seems to capture the intensity that he gives to Finn in the trailers we have seen so far. Hasbro doesn't always do a great job with human portraits in this line but I think they've done a pretty nice job with Finn.
* I'm going to mention a problem with Finn's shoulders in a minute but, for the most part, I like the articulation on this figure. Hasbro has consistently put out some very nicely articulated figures in this line that feel quite durable. These could absolutely played with like kids with little fear of breakage. Something about the quality of the plastic on these reminds me of the Power of the Force 2 figures.
* Since this figure is intended to represent Finn during his time on Jakku (the desert planet seen in all of the trailers) his boots and pant legs have a nice scattering of sand on them. It's an effective little paint app and adds some character to the figure.
* This is a really flippin' cool blaster pistol. It looks like a shorter version of the blaster rifle that the Target exclusive two-pack Poe Dameron comes with. It has a nice sculpt, some great paint highlights, and a wash to bring out all of the details. Finn looks awesome wielding this weapon! I just can't wait to find out what it's officially called.
* Making Finn's jacket a separate vest-like piece over his torso definitely gives the figure a nicer look but it does limit the swivel/hinge shoudler joints. Unlike most other figures in the Black Series, Finn cannot easily put his hands close together to hold a weapon with both hands. If this guy ever gets used for a version of Finn with a Lightsaber, let's hope Hasbro does a little retooling. Speaking of a Lightsaber...
* I really wish Hasbro had included a Lightsaber with Finn. We've seen it not only in the trailers but also on the official movie poster. Maybe he doesn't wield it at this point in the film (we've been told that the toy product released so far comes from the first 1/3 of the film) but I think it still would have been a smart idea. It'd add more value and definitely help the figure connect with buyers.
This is the first Finn figure I've reviewed. I have reviewed plenty of other figures from Star Wars: The Black Series, though, including:
Star Wars: The Black Series (6 inch) by Hasbro (2013)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
Princess Leia (Slave Outfit)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase II (6 inch) by Hasbro (2014)
Boba Fett (Prototype Armor)
Clone Commander Cody
Clone Trooper Captain
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III (6 inch) by Hasbro (2015)
First Order Stormtrooper