Ahsoka Tano was going to be my favorite figure out of the current series of Star Wars: The Black Series figures, but that may just not be the case. One of the stars of Star Wars: Rebels, Kanan Jarrus is a Jedi who survived Order 66 as a Padawan and now works with the Lothal Rebels in fighting against the empire. If you're at all keeping up with the new Star Wars stuff, you'll definitely recognize him whether from his TV, book, or comic appearances. While most of Phase III of the Black Series has been heavily focused on The Force Awakens, the second series of 2016 has given us one original trilogy figure (an Episode IV Luke Skywalker) and two figures from Rebels. The pre-ANH era might just be my current favorite time period in Star Wars to explore and I'm loving Rebels, so Kanan is a real treat for me. Ready for a closer look at this incredible figure? Then join me after the break...
Height: 6 1/4 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel
thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge
shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a
Accessories: 2 piece lightsaber, lightsaber blade, and a DL-18 blaster pistol.
Non-Scalper Price: $18-$20 dollars
* Kanan's articulation is incredible and quite flawless. There's nothing about his costume that hinders his movement, not even the pauldron on his right shoulder or the holster on his right hip. He's solid, durable, and looks cool in so many different poses. This guy is pure Star Wars win.
Ahsoka Tano, Hasbro opted to render Kanan as if he were an actual film character rather than trying to capture the animation style of Rebels. I like that choice, particularly for the Black Series, and I'm pleased to say that Hasbro did an excellent job. They managed to capture all of Kanan's facial features and his pulled back hair and goatee really well. This figure looks a lot like the depiction of Kanan on the cover of the book A New Dawn which was the first novel in the current all expansive canon.
* I love Kanan's costume. It's pretty simple yet it has that classic Star Wars vibe to it. Hasbro nailed it! It reminds me of so many things I like such as some of the Ralph McQuarrie concept sketches and Kyle Katarn from the Dark Forces video game series.
* The DL-18 blaster pistol fits perfectly in the holster on Kanan's right hip. What's also really nice about the holster is that while it's permanently attached to his belt with straps, the bottom of the holster attaches to Kanan's thigh via a peg. That way the holster looks perfect and stays in place when on display but it doesn't impede his movement if you need to rotate his hips swivel joints. It's really well thought out.
* Here's a closer look at the paintwork on Kanan's pauldron. Pretty boss, right? Yeah, I think so too.
* The blade emitter portion plugs snugly into the front of Kanan's belt on the left side.
* And here's the grip and hilt of his lightsaber. It snaps into a slot on the back of his belt for safekeeping.
* While I love the way Kanan's saber assembles and disassembles, I'm still not totally sold on the removable lightsaber blades in this series. It works OK most of the time but I still think I'd prefer to get a solid lightsaber and a separate hilt, like in the Vintage Collection. Maybe I'm still traumatized from how often these removable blades broke back during the Attack of the Clones line.
I've actually reviewed two other Kanan Jarrus action figures: The Hero Mashers Kanan Jarrus and the 3 3/4 inch single packed Rebels Kanan Jarrus. I've also reviewed plenty of other Star Wars: The Black Series action figures, including:
Star Wars: The Black Series (6 inch) by Hasbro (2013)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
Princess Leia (Slave Outfit)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase II (6 inch) by Hasbro (2014)
Boba Fett (Prototype Armor)
Clone Commander Cody
Clone Trooper Captain
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Han Solo & Tauntaun
Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Luke Skywalker & Wampa
Princess Leia Organa (Boushh)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III (6 inch) by Hasbro (2015)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
- Evil-Lyn's Dungeon
- The Fright Zone
- The Wonderdome
- Spawn Alley
- The Royal Junkyard
- Fortress Vader
- The Fortress of Solitude