- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- The Batgirl Library
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
Monday, October 17, 2016
Road to Rogue One: Darth Vader [Bespin] #158 from Pop! Star Wars by Funko
Height: 4 inches
Articulation: Bobbling head
Accessories: Display stand
Non-Scalper Price: $25 dollars as part of the Smuggler's Bounty Box: Death Star, which also includes an exclusive Grand Moff Tarkin Pop!, a Darth Vader vs.Obi-Wan Kenobi T-shirt, a Death Star luggage tag, a Stormtrooper pin, and a Darth Vader patch.
* I love the stylized look of Vader's helmet. It just looks really cool in this somewhat deformed style. It's clearly Vader and the grill and eyes are spot on. The helmet looks much more normal in person than it does in my picture (trick of the glare coming off of it, I believe) and it's fun to see one of the most recognizable villains of all time in this style.
* Vader's costume is impressive. Most impressive. While the proportions are somewhat exaggerated, I'd argue that it's as accurate as any 1/18th scale Vader Hasbro has released in their more kid friendly Star Wars lines. The paint apps on all of the little buttons are very neat and clean. The ignited lightsaber looks really cool, too. I love the translucent blade on it.
* One thing that's really cool, and a bit unique, about this Pop! is that it is posed sideways. Since this is capturing Vader as he extends his hand out to Luke on Bespin, tempting him to join the Dark Side, Vader is standing looking off to the side. If Funko ever makes an injured Luke (my guess is that they will) then this would look awesome paired with him.
* The Star Wars Pop! figures all come with a nice, simple display stand. I like the uniformity of these and the way they help the figures stand securely on the shelf. We display a number of Pop! figures in the living room, which is dog territory, so I'm way more confident that these ones will be less likely to take a tumble and get snacked on.
* This isn't a negative of this figure, but a negative of the marketing: Why is Bespin Vader coming with this installment of the Smuggler's Bounty crate that's marketed as the Death Star crate? Wouldn't a "Choking Someone" Vader have made more sense? It would have, but Gamestop has that as their current exclusive. To preserve the idea of a theme (which I like) maybe a Vader with Obi-Wan's cloak on the ground at his feet would have been a more appropriate option?
I certainly reviewed even a quarter of the Darth Vader/ Anakin Skywalker figures I own on here, but I have reviewed quite a few over the past few years including smaller Anakins in the Micro Machines Classic Characters pack, the Star Destroyer/ Space Fortress Transforming Action Set, and the first set of Episode 1 Micro Machines, the 6 inch Black Series Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader, and the Walgreen's exclusive Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath),
the Hero Mashers Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker Vs. Darth Vader 2 pack, and the Jedi Speeder with Anakin Skywalker.
I've reviewed quite a few other Pop! Star Wars figures, including:
Ben Kenobi #99
Boba Fett #102
Captain Phasma [Chrome] #91
Chewbacca #63 [Flocked]
R2-D2 (Jabba's Skiff) #121
Red Snaggletooth #70
TIE Fighter Pilot #89