cold weather Clone Trooper armor and the classic Imperial Snowtrooper armor. This makes sense considering that Solo takes place about 10 years before A New Hope (Rebels takes place about 5 years before, FYI), so we're kind of seeing another unexplored point in time for the New Canon. The Range Trooper seems to be a specialized trooper for remote worlds with harsh weather but it will be interesting to see how prevalent they are in the film. We still have about a month to wait for that, so let's spend some time now checking out this very cool figure after the break...
Height: 6 1/4ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, swivel/hinged knees,
swivel thighs, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge
shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a
Accessories: Blaster rifle
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* The Range Trooper is a pretty impressive looking trooper. You can definitely see elements of classic favorites such as the Snowtrooper and AT-AT Driver in the design, but also elements of newer designs like the AT-ACT Driver and the Hovertank Pilot, particularly when it comes down to the design of the helmet. The Range Trooper is a rather large figure thanks to the bulky armor and outfit, making him seem a bit larger than your average trooper. Like with many of the Imperial cold weather troops his paint design is a mixture of bright white for the armored elements and a grayish white for the cloth outfit elements.
* I love the helmet. The design is great, particularly the gold visor, and I love the weathering and damage on it.
* The Range Trooper's chest plate is excellent. Not only is there plenty of sculpted and painted detail but you also have some more great weathering, too. Plus, I dig those large pouches on the Range Trooper's belt.
* Let's talk about the standout element of the figure's design: The furry white collar/ cloak that rests over the figure's shoulders. It isn't removable unless you fully pull off the head (which is not easily removable), so it fits nicely on the figure and doesn't shift much. It's a great cloth accessory and really looks and feels like what you'd expect from this type of material. Maybe it's Wampa fur?
* Like the Snowtrooper, the Range Trooper is wearing a "duster" of sorts that flows over his hips and down to his knees. Interestingly, the Snowtrooper's duster actually attaches around his hips thanks to some gray straps. This is an interesting design that seems like it would help the "duster" portion of the Trooper's outfit from flaring up and around.
* Another really cool aspect of the Range Trooper's design are these crazy boots. What is their deal! They look very mechanical, seemingly having various belts and fuel tanks in them. They're incredibly cool and have a few minor painted details on the back, too.
* Due to his somewhat bulky outfit the Range Trooper does have some mobility issues. Still, the articulation isn't bad and this is a fun figure to pose and a durable figure to play with.
* The Range Trooper has other cool little details, too, such as these pads and devices on the forearms on both sides and the cylinders on his left bicep.
* I don't know the official name of this blaster yet but it definitely looks like a version of the E-11 blaster rifle with some extra scopes greebles on it. It's a great accessory, but guess what?
*From every source I've been able to find the Range Trooper's rifle is supposed to be white. It seems like Hasbro missed this detail and left off the paint applications. Bummer.
* The boots are very cool but they make it very hard for the figure to stand. They do seem to have a swivel joint in addition to the hinge joints but they're pretty tough to get any range of motion from. This guy has to be posed just right or else he tumbles over.
* The hips are also very restricted, making wider poses rather difficult to maintain.
This is the first Range Trooper figure I've reviewed. For more Star Wars: The Black Series figures check out the following:
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Poe Dameron
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib