Han Solo. We did did one member of the legacy cast in the first series of The Black Series figures released back on Force Friday, though: Chewbacca! I held off on picking this guy up for awhile but finally snagged him for a good price. Ready for a look at the newest version of everyone's favorite Wookie? Then join me after the break...
Height: 7 3/4 inches tall
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, "boot" swivel, swivel/hinge knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed waist, mid-torso swivel, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, and a swivel neck.
Accessories: 2-piece bowcaster and satchel.
Non-Scalper Price: $18-$20 dollars
2014 Chewbacca release from The Black Series: Phase II. The body sculpt is exactly the same, so check out that review for all of the nitty, gritty details. I turns out that there are some differences, most noticeably the headsculpt, the new satchel, and a new bowcaster. The paint is a little different,too: It's lighter and actually looks a bit lighter than the earlier figure's.
* Two things that I really like about this Chewbacca figure: He's really big and he's really sturdy! Remember when the POTF2 Chewbacca was only a teeny bit shorter than Han? Those days are far behind us as this Chewbacca is appropriately tall. He's also a really durable figure. There are some articulation problems (I'll mention them in a second) but Chewie is still a pretty good toy.
*The original figure had a more severe, barking expression on his face. This Chewie is a bit more passive and pleasant. The head is also shaped differently, looking much more accurate in my eyes. Unfortunately, the heads are not interchangeable as this head doesn't want to come off. Also, the paint jobs are fairly different.
*Han's not the only one to get a new outfit! Chewbacca has a different satchel and bandolier in The Force Awakens. It's a nicely sculpted and painted piece of the new accessory and it nicely shows how this new pouch is more rounded than the original satchel.
* Chewie doesn't come with the same bowcaster that was packaged with the original Black Series figure. Instead, he gets a new sculpt that looks to be quite accurate to the weapon he uses in The Force Awakens. The crossbar that holds both of the polarizers is also much sturdier than on the previous figure and it stays on tight without falling off at the slightest breeze.
*Chewie's crossbow doesn't have any paintwork at all. The previous figure had a nice drybrushing effect on it, but this one is a bit plain. Also, there's still no sling for it.
* Like the previous Chewbacca figure, Chewie's elbows are really limited in their range of motion, so getting him to hold the bowcaster with both hands takes a good bit of work. Unlike the previous figure, this Chewbacca has almost no motion in his head. The Black Series Phase III figures seem to have the neck pegs set deeper into the headsculpts and just aren't removable and interchangeable like the earlier figures. This causes some problems, which we'll see below...
*Notice the visible spot in the fur where the strap ran across Chewie's body on the previous figure? For some reason, this Chewie's bandolier just doesn't want to line up properly. Part of that is because of the lack of movement in the head which prevents you from being able to fidget with the head and the bandolier to get it to sit right.
I've already mentioned that I've reviewed the earlier Star Wars: The Black Series Chewbacca figure but I've reviewed two other Chewies as well: The Smuggler's Bounty exclusive flocked POP! Chewbacca and my little one's Hero Mashers Chewbacca.
I've reviewed plenty of other Star Wars: The Black Series figures, including:
Star Wars: The Black Series (6 inch) by Hasbro (2013)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
Princess Leia (Slave Outfit)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase II (6 inch) by Hasbro (2014)
Boba Fett (Prototype Armor)
Clone Commander Cody
Clone Trooper Captain
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Princess Leia Organa (Boushh)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III (6 inch) by Hasbro (2015)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
- Evil-Lyn's Dungeon
- The Fright Zone
- The Wonderdome
Wednesday, March 2, 2016
Action Figure Review: Chewbacca from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks! I'll try not to bend him.Delete