Qui-Gon Jinn or to face off against Darth Maul, a figure released way back in the first series of figures from 2013. While largely the same figure as the Celebration exclusive, this figure is lacking the two interchangeable hands that figure came with. Picking up this figure reminds me a lot of getting the Episode I Jedi Duel Obi-Wan Kenobi back in 1999. Gosh, that was an exciting time back then, wasn't it? Let's check this figure out after the break...
Height: 5 7/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs,
ball jointed hips, ball jointed abdomen, butterfly pecs, swivel/ hinge shoulders,
swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, a balljointed neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Lightsaber hilt and blade.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* There's no doubt that Obi-Wan is a fantastic looking figure. Without his robes he might not be the most exciting looking figure but Obi-Wan's cream colored Jedi outfit is definitely captured well here. The detail is excellent and the articulation is largely incorporated into the sculpt quite well.
* The headsculpt is very good with solid face printing. It's not 100% dead on, but I think that has to do with the hair, which is off a bit. The face is quite realistic, though, especially the eyes.
* Like the more recent Jedi figures, Obi-Wan can move with the best of them. I'd wager he's more articulated than even most Marvel Legends figures, particularly due to the excellent range of motion most of his joints have, the balljointed neck and head, and the "butterfly" hinged pectoral joints. Obi-Wan is a fun, durable figure who can do pretty much anything needed for a lightsaber duel.
* Obi-Wan Kenobi comes with his lightsaber. Other than the sculpt and paint being different, there isn't really anything different here from any of the other lightsabers in the line. It's a necessary accessory for the figure and he looks great holding it, even with both hands.
* When he needs to tote his lightsaber around on official Jedi business, just take off the blade and attach it to Obi-Wan's belt. The belt is nicely detailed with a couple small pouches and buckles, all with sharp, clean paintwork.
* I'm not so sure about Obi-Wan's hair. It looks too light to me, which throws off the likeness quite a bit. Oddly enough, his braid on the back is much darker than the rest of the hair, too. It seems more accurate than everything else.
Obi-Wan is no doubt a well made figure and he shows off so many of the advances that the Black Series has made over the years, particularly in the areas of likeness and articulation. Unfortunately, Obi-Wan also still display one of the weaknesses from the early line that shows up from time to time: Weak accessorization. Why in the world would Hasbro release this Obi-Wan with no robe or Jedi communicator? Those are both key accessories for Obi-Wan in Episode I and the figure feels rather bare without them. Overall Hasbro has been improving and while Obi-Wan Kenobi (Padawan) is still a Good and a 1/2 figure, he feels incomplete. Seriously, it's so weird how hit or miss Hasbro is with the inclusion of robes for Jedi figures. Those always seem like a no-brainer of an accessory, right?
I've reviewed a few Obi-Wan Kenobi toys on here including the Micro Machines Classic Characters Obi-Wan, Funko's Ben Kenobi #99 and Obi-Wan Kenobi #214 POP! vinyls, and the Black Series Obi-Wan Kenobi from Revenge of the Sith, Force Spirit Obi-Wan Kenobi, the SDCC 2016 Obi-Wan Kenobi from A New Hope, and the Micro Force standard ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi and the holographic Obi-Wan Kenobi from the Advent Calendar.
For more figures from Star Wars: The Black Series check out the following:
0-0-0 (Triple Zero)
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Phasma (Quicksilver Baton)
Captain Poe Dameron
Chewbacca (Target Exclusive)
Chewbacca (The Force Awakens)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Wolffe
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Enfys Nest's Swoop Bike/ Enfys Nest
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Han Solo (Exogorth Escape)
Han Solo (Mimban)
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo (The Force Awakens)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Patrol Trooper
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Lando Calrissian (Solo)
Lando Calrissian (The Empire Strikes Back)
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard)
Luke Skywalker (Death Star Escape)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia (Bespin Escape)
Princess Leia Organa
Princess Leia Organa (Hoth)
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Red Squadron (R2-D2, R5-D8, and R2-X2)
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Stormtrooper (With Blast Accessories)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
Vice Admiral Holdo
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
- Evil-Lyn's Dungeon
- The Fright Zone
- The Wonderdome
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Action Figure Review: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Padawan) from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment
What'chu talkin' 'bout?