R2-D2 and C-3PO. There is also a Walgreens' exclusive classic C-3PO that's starting to hit shelves now too (review coming in a couple of weeks), so you can have your pick. Or buy both. Whether you call him Goldenrod, the Professor, Threepio, or any other nickname, you'll be glad to have this guy as a permanent resident on your shelf. More details after the break...
Height: 5 5/8ths
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, hinged knees, swivel thighs, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel shoulder covers, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a balljointed head.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* Just looking at this figure, I'm impressed by how well Hasbro captured C-3PO's appearance. The shape and texture of the droid just seems perfect, as do the eyes and mouth. I love how the eyes have been captured! Easily one of the best nonhuman portraits in the line.
* The shape and details on C-3PO's body are just dead on. Everything looks right and the sculpt is very crisp. Honestly, you could almost believe that there is a little Anthony Daniels action figure inside of the shell.
* I'm really liking the paint color Hasbro went with for C-3PO's gold body. I'm rarely a fan of vac-metal and while I no some people like it, to my eyes it always looks cheap and out of place. This gold just looks so good. Honestly, C-3PO might be one of the most eye-catching figures in the Black Series to date. He really stands out on the shelf.
* When you think of C-3PO, you don't really think of articulation, do you? Still, this version of C-3PO can move very well. His joints are a bit stiff, but that's by design: He really moves much like how you'd imagine Threepio would be actually capable of moving if he had the desire. The elbows are permanently posed, which makes sense, but everything else (especially the head and the mid-torso joint) has a great range of motion.
* Here's a close-up of C-3PO's arm. His hands look great, I love the pistons on his elbows (even though they don't move), and the shoulders look great. The shoulders actually have a cover over the swivel/hinge joint that swivels itself, hiding the joint in most poses. It's a great feature that preserves both form and functionality. Nice engineering; sometimes something so simple like this just helps to greatly improve the figure!
* The paintwork on the wires in C-3PO's midsection is pretty good. In person it looks even better, as the photo is a bit larger than the figure itself. The paintwork is quite clean and it makes for a convincing effect. This kind of makes me interested in someday seeing an unfinished C-3PO from Episode I.
* C-3PO doesn't come with any accessories whatsoever, which is kind of a bummer. Anything would have been welcome! A hologram of Starkiller Base? A tarp to put over R2-D2? Anything would have been better than nothing!
For everyone's favorite protocol droid, I've also reviewed my daughter's Hero Mashers C-3PO
and Galoob's Classic Characters (2nd Edition) set which he was included in.
If you're looking for other figures from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III, check out the following:
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap