Obi-Wan Kenobi as a Force Spirit. This year, prior to the release of The Rise of Skywalker, Walmart offered up an exclusive version of Yoda as a Force Spirit. I wonder when we'll get Anakin? This version of Yoda is based on the Phase II figure with new paint applications and new robes. Hasbro has attempted many different ways of creating Force Spirit figures but as far as I can recall, the only version of Yoda they've attempted was the translucent version from 1998. This guy definitely shows a lot more effort at creating the ghostly appearance seen in the Original Trilogy. Let's check out Force Spirit Yoda after the break and see how he turned out!
Height: 3 1/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, balljointed hips, balljointed midtorso, swivel/hinge shoulders, double hinged elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, and a balljointed head.
Accessories: Robe, belt, flute, and gimer stick.
Non-Scalper Price: $18 -$20 dollars
*On the left is the the Force Spirit version of Yoda while the original Phase II version is on the right. Oddly enough, I never reviewed the Phase II version. I might have to rectify that some day. This guy is mostly a repaint although the robes are different and Force Spirit doesn't come with the snake and lightsaber that the original release had.
* You can debate whether or not Hasbro did a good job at capturing the appearance of a Force Spirit from Return of the Jedi, but they definitely did put together a very cool, very unqiue looking figure. Rather than just being molded in translucent plastic, Yoda has multiple colors and lots of metallic paint hues over the translucent appendages, which gives him a luminous quality. There have been a lot of jokes made that Yoda looks kind of like Yogurt from Spaceballs, which actually is spot on. That's not a bad thing though, right? Gosh, I'd love for someone to make Spaceballs toys someday. I know Mel Brooks made a deal with Uncle George back in the day, but Uncle George isn't in charge anymore, so....
* The headsculpt is fantastic. It's the same as the Phase II Yoda but it uses the faceprinting technology seen on the Archives Yoda. It's pretty solid, right? In the Walmart computers this Yoda was listed as an Episode VIII version, which could make sense, too, although it definitely feels more Episode VI based.
* The original Black Series Yoda only had one robe, but this one has two robes: An outer cloak and a nonremovable inner robe around his waist. Both are translucent and a bit shimmery, which really adds to the spectral appearance of the figure. It definitely shows that Hasbro put in some extra effort here rather than just making a quick repaint, which is always appreciated.
* The flute around Yoda's neck is actually called a blissl and it's part of the outfit Yoda wears on Dagobah. It's tough to get it over Yoda's head without damaging it but you can remove Yoda's head (it uses a traditional balljoint since it's one of the older figures in the line) to take it off if you want to. It's a cool little extra that looks just fine here.
* While Yoda has far less articulation than most other figures in the line, for his size he's well articulated, particularly his double hinged elbows. Most of the figures with cloth robes have had double hinged elbows to help aid their movement and it works great here. Yoda can take some great poses, although as a Force Spirit he mostly stands around, cackles, and calls down lightning.
* Yoda comes with his gimer stick, gifted to him by the Wookies, although this time it's cast in a pearlescent purplish plastic to give it an ethereal look.
* This is a carry over from the original figure, but Yoda is way too large. Yoda is only supposed to be 2ft 2in, so in 1/12th scale he'd be a little under 2 1/4ths inches. Generally the scale has been good on the Black Series (except for the R2 units), but Yoda definitely is a bit too large. It doesn't look bad, until you rally start to think about it and try to put him on Luke's back or something.
* How do you think Yoda looks compared to Obi-Wan? Not terrible although he seems to be designed fairly differently, doesn't he? The colors and design are good but it's inconsistent with what Hasbro has done before. When I look at Yoda I think more "holographic projection" and less "Force Spirit."
Do you seek Yoda? If so, check out the Hero Mashers version, the Micro Machines Classic Characters (2nd edition) Yoda, and the green hologram Yoda from the Micro Force advent calendar.
For more figures from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III, check out the following:
0-0-0 (Triple Zero)
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Phasma (Quicksilver Baton)
Captain Poe Dameron
Chewbacca (Target Exclusive)
Chewbacca (The Force Awakens)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Fox
Clone Commander Obi-Wan Kenobi
Clone Commander Wolffe
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Emperor Papatine and Throne
Enfys Nest's Swoop Bike/ Enfys Nest
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Jet Trooper
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Han Solo (Exogorth Escape)
Han Solo (Mimban)
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo (The Force Awakens)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Patrol Trooper
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Lando Calrissian (Solo)
Lando Calrissian (The Empire Strikes Back)
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard)
Luke Skywalker (Death Star Escape)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Luke Skywalker (Skyalker Strikes)
Luke Skywalker (Yavin Ceremony)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Padawan)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia (Bespin Escape)
Princess Leia Organa
Princess Leia Organa (Hoth)
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Red Squadron (R2-D2, R5-D8, and R2-X2)
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Second Sister Inquisitor
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Stormtrooper (With Blast Accessories)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
Vice Admiral Holdo
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast