since October but, thus far, I haven't reviewed a single figure from the upcoming film. I've got some coming, don't worry, but the product Hasbro has released from Jedi: Fallen Order, The Mandalorian, the Original Trilogy has been more interesting lately. Now Hasbro is even mining the 2003 Clone Wars series for inspiration (that's different from The Clone Wars, kids!). Today I'm checking out the very cool Walgreens exclusive Clone Commander Obi-Wan Kenobi. Walgreens has offered many cool exclusive Black Series figures over the past few years and this version of Obi-Wan Kenobi is one of the coolest. Combining the Jedi with the Clone Trooper armor was always a win in the coolness department and Obi-Wan just looks awesome in this outfit. Let's check him out after the break...
Height: 6 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs,
swivel/hinge hips, a ball jointed abdomen, swivel/hinge shoulders,
swivel biceps, double hinged elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, a hinged neck,
and a ball jointed head.
Accessories:2 piece lightsaber and display stand.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* On the left is Clone Commander Obi-Wan Kenobi while a standard Clone Trooper is on the right. Obi-Wan has a different torso and belt from any of the Clone Troopers, but the limbs are the same as on most other clones. There are definitely parts of the Clone Trooper sculpt showing their age (such as the range of motion on the elbows and knees) but it's still not a bad base body and I'm OK with some consistency.
* This is really just a cool looking figure. I'm pretty sure that the Phase I Obi-Wan from Revenge of the Sith is the worst figure released in the Black Series to date, so it's nice to see an improved Obi-Wan from that era. His armor looks great and the presence of the robe-like cape on the armor just adds to the impressiveness. The belt is all new and the torso seems all new, too, as there are some discs on the chest to hold the cape/ robe in place. The paint work is neat and clean, and Obi-Wan is rocking the Clone Trooper armor like the champ he is.
someone who appeared in a comic or someone who appeared in a cartoon, like Obi-Wan here, fits in with your standard movie characters.
The head is easily removable, though the balljoint is larger than on the Phase I Obi-Wan body, just FYI.
* The soft goods cloak looks great and is nicely attached to the body. It hangs down the front, attached via the chest anchors and the belt keeps it in line from the front and the back. The cape has a bit of an uneven look to it, which is part of the style. It's kind of flipped in the middle. It's hard to explain, so take a look in the picture. It gives it a dynamic feel that I really like.
* Obi-Wan's lightsaber is the same sculpt as the Phase 1 ROTS Obi-Wan's although the paintwork is a little different. It splits apart much easier than the current lightsabers and has a slightly more tapered blade.
* Obi-Wan's belt is bit different from the previous Clone Trooper belts. It also has a spot for him to hold his lightsaber hilt. It's a bit loose, so be careful moving him when you've got the lightsaber hanging from his belt. You don't want him to lose his lightsaber!
* A lot of the exclusive figures have been coming with these translucent stands. They're not the best stands in the world (why not just use foot pegs?) but I'm not going to knock an extra, either. They haven't fit every figure terribly well but it works quite nicely with Obi-Wan, as the Clone Trooper boots are narrower than many others.
* Being based on an older figure, Obi-Wan does have two problems due to the Clone Trooper sculpt which is now five years old. First, the double hinged elbows have less range of motion than Hasbro's current single hinged elbows. Not great for a Jedi, as you can see.
* Obi-Wan also uses the older Clone Trooper pauldrons which impede shoulder movement. They've had some that work better, so why not use those?
I've reviewed a few Obi-Wan Kenobi toys on here including the Micro Machines Classic Characters Obi-Wan, Funko's Ben Kenobi #99 and Obi-Wan Kenobi #214 POP! vinyls, and the Black Series Obi-Wan Kenobi from Revenge of the Sith, Force Spirit Obi-Wan Kenobi, the SDCC 2016 Obi-Wan Kenobi from A New Hope, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Padawan), and the Micro Force standard ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi and the holographic Obi-Wan Kenobi from the Advent Calendar.
For more Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III reviews, check out the following:
0-0-0 (Triple Zero)
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Phasma (Quicksilver Baton)
Captain Poe Dameron
Chewbacca (Target Exclusive)
Chewbacca (The Force Awakens)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Fox
Clone Commander Wolffe
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Emperor Papatine and Throne
Enfys Nest's Swoop Bike/ Enfys Nest
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Han Solo (Exogorth Escape)
Han Solo (Mimban)
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo (The Force Awakens)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Patrol Trooper
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Lando Calrissian (Solo)
Lando Calrissian (The Empire Strikes Back)
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard)
Luke Skywalker (Death Star Escape)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Padawan)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia (Bespin Escape)
Princess Leia Organa
Princess Leia Organa (Hoth)
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Red Squadron (R2-D2, R5-D8, and R2-X2)
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Second Sister Inquisitor
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Stormtrooper (With Blast Accessories)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
Vice Admiral Holdo
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast