- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
Tuesday, November 12, 2019
Action Figure Review: Alfred Pennyworth from DC Comics Multiverse by Mattel
Height: 6 5/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/ hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, balljointed hips, swivel waist, hinged mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, bicep swivels, double hinged elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a balljointed head.
Accessories: 4 interchangeable portraits, tray, glass, Batman's cowl, and the right arm for the Killer Croc Collect & Connect figure.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* Throughout his comic appearances Alfred Pennyworth has a very consistent look since 1943 which Mattel has captured beautifully. There's no doubt as to who this is and his tuxedo is amazing. The body of the jacket is a separate piece, but there's no reason to remove it as the sleeves are part of the sculpt. The suit looks perfect, Alfred's tall, thin frame is captured quite well, and the paint applications are extremely neat and clean. Just like Alfred!
* I love the headsculpt. Again, it's a very classic headsculpt that captures Alfred's upper class charm. He's got that pencil thin mustache, expressive eyebrows, and a look on his face that makes the figure appear as if Alfred is just about to bust out a witty comment.
* The last headsculpt is certainly the most unusual: It's Alfred Pennyworth as the Outsider, a villainous, resurrected version of Alfred from pre-crisis continuity. It's a very creepy looking headsculpt and while it's probably the least desirable head in the set, it's still a pretty amazingly obscure accessory. Where have the folks who worked on this series of figures been over the last few years?
* While he's clad in an immaculate tuxedo, that doesn't mean Alfred can't throw down when needed. He's sporting some excellent articulation and feels like a quality figure. Easily the best Alfred figure ever released, hands down.
* Alfred also comes with a silver serving tray and a clear glass. Despite getting involved in many of Batman's adventures, Alfred still makes sure the Bat-family is well cared for and well fed.
* The last accessory is Batman's cowl. It's flat on the bottom, so it seems designed to fit on the tray. Maybe Alfred is taking it from Batman to be laundered. Or maybe it's included as a nod to the cover of Batman #686 which depicts Alfred grieving over Batman's presumed death, holding the empty cowl and cape in his hands.
* Alfred comes with Killer Croc's right arm as his Collect & Connect piece. I'm really excited to build this guy and I'll be getting to Killer Croc soon (I've already got the pictures taken). Croc seems like he's going to be a really good figure. It's been a long time since Mattel's last comic based Croc (well over 10 years) so this guy is a welcome addition.
Surprisingly, this is the first figure of Alfred Pennyworth I've reviewed on Action Figure Barbecue. For more reviews from DC Comics Multiverse, check out the following:
Batgirl (The Batgirl of Burnside)
Batman (Batman: Reborn)
Batman (Batman: Zero Year)
Batman (DC Rebirth)
Batwing (DC Rebirth)
Batwoman (DC Rebirth)
Clayface (Collect & Connect Figure)
Damian Wayne Robin (Robin War)
Doctor Psycho (Collect & Connect figure)
Duke Thomas (We Are Robin)
Earth 23 Superman
The Flash: From Page to Screen
Harley Quinn (Detective Comics)
Jessica Cruz (DC Rebirth)
Jim Gordon Batman (Batman: Superheavy)
The Joker (Batman: Endgame)
Katana (DC Rebirth)
KGBeast (DC Rebirth)
King Shark (Collect & Connect Figure)
The Reaper (Batman: Year Two)
Red Hood (DC Rebirth)
Red Robin (DC Rebirth)
Rookie (Collect & Connect figure)
Spoiler (Detective Comics)
Starfire (DC Rebirth)
Superman (DC Rebirth)
Two-Face (All-Star Batman)
Wonder Girl (Teen Titans)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Armored Batman (The Dark Knight Returns)
Batman & Superman (The Dark Knight Returns)
The Flash & The Atom (Batman: The Dark Knight Returns)
The Joker (The Dark Knight Returns)
Mutant Leader (The Dark Knight Returns)
Robin (The Dark Knight Returns)
Son of Batman
Batman v. Superman
Batman's Grapnel Blaster (Collect & Connect accessory)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Reverse Flash (The Flash TV Series)
Aquaman (Toys R Us Exclusive)
Batman (Wal-Mart Exclusive)
Cyborg (Wal-Mart Exclusive)
Mother Boxes (Collect & Connect Accessory)
Steppenwolf (Collect & Connect Figure)
Harley Quinn (6 inch)
Harley Quinn (12 inch)
Harley Quinn (Gold Dress)
Harley Quinn (Toys R Us Exclusive)
The Joker (Toys R Us Exclusive)
Supergirl TV Series
Diana of Themyscira
Wonder Woman (Toys 'R Us exclusive)