Quake Marine figures just feels right (I do have that 1/6th scale B.J. Blazkowicz but I wish we'd get a 1/12th scale version). Let's check out McFarlane's Doom Slayer after the break...
Height: 7 1/4ths inches
Articulation: Double swivel/ hinged ankles, swivel/hinge knees, swivel thighs, balljointed hips with ratchets, balljointed waist, balljointed mid-torso, double swivel/hinged shoulders, double balljointed shoulder pads, hinged elbows, double swivel/ hinged wrists, balljointed neck, balljointed head, and shoulder mounted flamethrower with balljointed base, hinged arm, and balljointed attachment.
Accessories: Super shotgun, Doom blade, and display stand.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
*The Doom Slayer is a large, bulky, muscular figure decked out in his green Praetor suit. This guy is seriously pretty awesome and while I'm sure I was more excited for this figure than most (due to having always wanted a toy of the Doomguy), I think fans of the series and fans of armored figures of this sort will be pretty happy. This guy definitely "feels" like an old school McFarlane figure, and I mean that in a mostly positive way. There's a ton of detail here and everything about the toy just looks awesome. It's like what you'd get if your middle school self, Master Chief, and an artist for heavy metal album covers were asked to collaborate on a new outfit for the military. Put this guy on your shelf and your Hellraiser figures and the big horned guy from Legend are going to start sweating.
* The helmet looks great. The Doomguy usually has it on, so this is a signature part of his look. The helmet is actually rather hollow at the base, which gives the double balljointed head/ neck peg a very significant amount of motion. It looks great and it's oh so functional!
* I love the look of this armor. Seriously, just checking out the detail on this figure is quite fun. McFarlane really went all out here. I haven't picked up a new figure from McFarlane Toys since 2017's Jareth the Goblin King, so it's nice to see another release I was interested in from them. I hope they keep going with the Doom line!
* Check out these boots. Dang! The Doomguy is ready to stomp some demons and give KISS a run for their money in the amazing boots department!
* The Praetor suit in Doom 2016 is upgradeable and it seems that will be the case in Doom Eternal as well. The Doom Slayer has a shoulder mounted flamethrower which both sounds awesome but also like a really bad idea. It looks pretty cool and the arm attaching it to his shoulders has two balljointed and a hinge, allowing it to have a nice range of motion.
* The Doomguy also has a new melee weapon, called the Doom blade. The Doom blade is a separate piece that plugs in to the bottom of the Doom Slayer's gauntlets. It's a very wicked looking serrated blade that definitely looks like it'll give us some crazy new glory kills in Doom Eternal.
* While I wish the Doom Slayer came with more weapons, he does come with my go to weapon for any Doom campaign: The Super Shotgun. This is a truly wicked looking double barreled shotgun, now with a grappling hook like device underneath. Apparently you can use it to drag enemies towards you, Scorpion style!
* It's just a simple flat disc with the Doom logo on it but I do like that the figure comes with a display stand. Doomguy stands just fine on his own but the stand adds a bit more stability for display on the shelf.
* The Doom Slayer really is a great looking figure, although there are definitely spots with the paint that look more like McFarlane went back to the older paint style using intentionally messy paint to make things look more complex rather than using very clean paint apps with wear and tear and washes. The figure still looks good, but it's definitely a part of McFarlane's style that doesn't work on a non-organic figure element, such as the armor here.
* While I like the articulation overall, the Doomguy's arms do have a very limited range of motion. He can only hold his weapon one handed and then not even in a very good shooting pose.
This is the first figure of the Doom Slayer/ Doomguy I've reviewed.
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash