BT-1 and 0-0-0, is Doctor Aphra. Hasbro was very smart to release Doctor Aphra with the Droids as the presence of all three figures automatically makes each of the individual figures more desirable. I've felt that the Black Series would benefit from more themed waves and this seems like a small step in the right direction. I love Doctor Aphra, so much so that I actually purchased the 1/18th scale Doctor Aphra figure from the Vintage Collection last Fall. We knew a Black Series version was coming, however, and here she is. What's really interesting about this figure, besides the fact that she's one of the first figures from the New Canon in the Black Series line, is that she features a lot of reuse. We've seen droids and armored troopers rely on reuse but Doctor Chelli Lona Aphra might be the first regularly clothed human figure to take advantage of clever reuse to craft a completely new figure. Yes, while you may not realize it right off the bat, Doctor Aphra reuses quite a bit from...wait for it... Jaina Solo. Yup! Who would have thought, huh? While I applaud Hasbro's commitment to using unique sculpts and accuracy for movie characters, I'm A-OK with clever reuse to offer us more characters from books and videogames. Let's see how Doctor Aphra turned out after the break...
Height: 5 3/4ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees,
swivel thighs, balljointed hips, abdomen hinge, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge
shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a
Accessories: Blaster, vest, and flight cap.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* On the left is Doctor Aphra. On the right is Jaina Solo. At a glance they look nothing alike. It turns out that the figures share torsos, waists, belts/holders, and legs/ boots. Yup. The colors and other accoutrements really hide this well, so you'd never notice it unless really staring at both figures in hand. Personally I'm thrilled with this reuse for characters from non-film media and I hope it means we see more characters like this in the future.
* While she's reusing Jaina Solo's torso, waist, and legs, the paint work really does a great job of capturing the look of Doctor Aphra quite well. Aphra has new arms with short sleeves and flight gloves as well. The outfit really works well for Aphra's casual, roguish outfit and definitely feels very faithful to the character.
* Aphra's outfit is completed with the inclusion of a red vest. It fits her well and looks great. Seriously, with this vest on you'd never know that this used the Jaina Solo body at all.
* Like the Rebels figures, Doctor Aphra's portrait is Hasbro attempt to render the character as if she were a real person, allowing her to stand alongside the rest of the realistic looking Black Series figures that mostly come from films. Doctor Aphra has a round face and straight, dark hair that obscures her left eye. I think Hasbro did a pretty solid job here. She's not quite how I picture Aphra but it's solid work nonetheless.
* Unlike the Vintage Collection figure, this Doctor Aphra figure has a removable flight cap. I love the look of this! It's weathered, worn, and has some very nice looking goggles on it. The paint work is exceptional and the fit is near perfect. She really looks great in this, doesn't she?
* Since she used the Jaina Solo body, Aphra has some incredible articulation. Not only does she have all of
the joints you'd expect but she also has a hinge joint below her
mid-torso balljoint. With less extra stuff on her body than Jaina had, Doctor Aphra's articulation is even smoother and more useful.
* Like on the Vintage Collection figure, Doctor Aphra's unusual tattoos are very nicely rendered. The lines
are clean and highly visible, even looking good despite the fact that
they run across the elbow joint.
* Doctor Aphra shares another thing with Jaina: Her sidearm. Doctor Aphra has a standard BlasTech styled blaster pistol with a few nice paint applications.
* Doctor's Aphra belt changes pretty frequently, so I have no problem with Hasbro reusing the Jaina Solo belt as well. It looks great, fits the character, and has an excellent holster to stow her pistol away in.
* My only complaint is that Doctor Aphra's arms look a little off without the vest. Jaina Solo has thicker sleeves from her flightsuit, but Aphra's look a little too small. Again, with the vest on it looks OK but without the vest things look a bit off.
If you're a Doctor Aphra fan also check out my review of the Vintage Collection Doctor Aphra.
For more Star Wars: The Black Series figures, check out the following:
0-0-0 (Triple Zero)
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Phasma (Quicksilver Baton)
Captain Poe Dameron
Chewbacca (Target Exclusive)
Chewbacca (The Force Awakens)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Wolffe
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Enfys Nest's Swoop Bike/ Enfys Nest
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Han Solo (Exogorth Escape)
Han Solo (Mimban)
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo (The Force Awakens)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Patrol Trooper
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Lando Calrissian (Solo)
Lando Calrissian (The Empire Strikes Back)
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia (Bespin Escape)
Princess Leia Organa
Princess Leia Organa (Hoth)
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Red Squadron (R2-D2, R5-D8, and R2-X2)
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Stormtrooper (With Blast Accessories)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
Vice Admiral Holdo
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib