- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- The Batgirl Library
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast
Saturday, March 2, 2019
Action Figure Review: Dryden Vos from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 6 3/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, "boot" swivels, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, and a balljointed head.
Accessories: Cape/ jacket combo, 2 Kyuzo petars.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* Overall Hasbro continues to do a stellar job of offering realistic, authentic looking figures in this series. While on the surface Dryden Vos is a fairly regular looking guy dressed in black there's actually a lot going on here. His jacket/ coat combination does make him seem like a much more complex figure as does the various textures on his vest and trousers. He also has a few cool details on his chest such as the datapad that he wears attached to his midsection and the ornamented clasp of his cape.
* Dryden Vos is well articulated and can take quite a few poses, particularly if you remove his cape/ jacket. He actually looks pretty decent without the cape, too, unlike many figure with a removable coat or such. He's sturdy and well made.
* The faceprinting here goes a long way towards making this figure greatly resemble Paul Bettany. The hair is just right, too, and you can even see the mechanostaple near his hairline. The striation on his face is slightly visible. This was a cool element of the character in the film and seeing it here goes a long way toward giving Vos a menacing presence. But wait...there's more!
* Maybe I missed it but a user at JediTempleArchives mentioned this morning that Dryden Vos reacts to the cold (thanks Jaken Wraith!). I immediately threw Dryden in the freezer and was amazed at how quickly the marks on his face turned a bright, crimson red! How cool!
* While he doesn't have the weird thumb claws that the character has in the film, Dryden does have his Crimson Dawn signet ring on his right hand and his wrist communicator.
* Dryden Vos includes the dual Kyuzo petars he uses at the end of the film. The look cool and easily fit in his hands. They're sharp looking, huh?
* Guess what else? Pop these babies in the freezer and they'll also begin to "glow" with energy. Yup! The petars turn red, too. On the petar to the right you can see how the left side is red after being in my freezer for a minute or so while the right side, which I rubbed with my fingers to heat up, is just gold. Neat! What other Star Wars figures do I need to be freezing?
* Dryden Vos' cape has this cool clasp that keeps it in place but it is kind of finicky and feels a bit fragile. It doesn't stay in place very well.
This is the first action figure of Dryden Vos I've reviewed. For more Star Wars: The Black Series figures check out the following:
442nd Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper, Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Phasma (Quicksilver Baton)
Captain Poe Dameron
Chewbacca (Target Exclusive)
Chewbacca (The Force Awakens)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Wolffe
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Enfys Nest's Swoop Bike/ Enfys Nest
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Han Solo (Exogorth Escape)
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo (The Force Awakens)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Patrol Trooper
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Lando Calrissian (Solo)
Lando Calrissian (The Empire Strikes Back)
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia (Bespin Escape)
Princess Leia Organa
Princess Leia Organa (Hoth)
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Red Squadron (R2-D2, R5-D8, and R2-X2)
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Stormtrooper (With Blast Accessories)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty