Height: 6 3/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, "boot" swivels, hinged knees, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, bicep swivels, hinged elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, swivel/hinge neck, balljointed head, and hinged movement processors.
Accessories: E-5 blaster rifle, backpack, and command officer antenna.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* Hasbro has been on a truly impressive roll with Star Wars: The Black Series over the past year or so and the Battle Droid is another hit. While there have been a few nice Bandai releases of the Battle Droid, Hasbro's effort is pretty impressive for at least half of the price. The sculpt is excellent and does a great job of looking like the film design while also feeling like a sturdy, well made toy. The Battle Droid is the standard bone tan version seen throughout Episode I (the standard infantry battle droid) and is nicely covered with minor little nicks and scrapes.
* The Battle Droid has a pretty recognizable head and Hasbro has done a great job with it here. Just staring at it, you can just imagine the distinctive voice of these guys. "Roger, roger!" Also fun: The movement processor on the back (the little tendril looking thing hanging off the back of the head) is hinged as well.
* Looking at the figure, all of the joints you would expect to work do work. Also, there are probably a few joints here you might not expect. Perhaps the best thing that can be said is that the Battle Droid can be folded up into it's storage mode/ shutdown mode quite easily. It looks great and while we'll (probably) never get an MTT in the Black Series, this is still a very fun pose for the Battle Droid.
* The Battle Droid comes armed with the E-5 Blaster Rifle, also known as the Battle Droid blaster. This is an excellent sculpt that matches up nearly perfectly with the film prop. The hands are preposed so that the Battle Droid can hold it accurately, too.
* The Battle Droid features a removable backpack. Like the droid itself the backpack is slightly dinged and damaged with believable paint applications.
* Guess what? The antennae on the backpack can actually slide down into the backpack for storage. I didn't even realize that these extended at first until I pulled out my Episode I visual dictionary and started looking at things more closely. What a cool feature.
* The E-5 also plugs into the backpack. I remember loving this feature on the Episode I Battle Droid from 1999 and I'm still glad to have it.
* Interestingly, the Battle Droid also comes with an interchangeable Command Officer's antenna array. Remove the backpack and plug this piece in to give your Battle Droid a little variation. While this droid doesn't bear the markings of the Command Officers, it's still a fun extra. I'm sure Hasbro will want to repaint this sculpt and I wouldn't turn down OOM-9, a red Geonosis Battle droid, or a Security Droid. I love the Security Droids!
* My only negative is that I wish the Battle Droid had just a bit wider range of motion in the hips. It does have balljoints but they don't allow the figure a very wide stance.
You know what? This is the first Battle Droid I've reviewed on this site! For more Star Wars: The Black Series figures, check out the following:
442nd Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper, Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Phasma (Quicksilver Baton)
Captain Poe Dameron
Chewbacca (Target Exclusive)
Chewbacca (The Force Awakens)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Wolffe
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Enfys Nest's Swoop Bike/ Enfys Nest
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Han Solo (Exogorth Escape)
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo (The Force Awakens)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Patrol Trooper
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Lando Calrissian (Solo)
Lando Calrissian (The Empire Strikes Back)
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia (Bespin Escape)
Princess Leia Organa
Princess Leia Organa (Hoth)
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Red Squadron (R2-D2, R5-D8, and R2-X2)
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Stormtrooper (With Blast Accessories)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty