- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- The Batgirl Library
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast
Tuesday, February 19, 2019
Minifigure Review: Series 1 from Kaiju Big Battel
Height: 7/8ths of an inch to 2 inches tall
Set Includes: 11 figures
Non-Scalper Price: $25 dollars for the set
* The main villain of Kaiju Big Battel is Dr. Cube, a horrific villain who hides his scarred visage with a cardboard box on his head. He's got a great classic "arms open wide" M.U.S.C.L.E. pose, a stethoscope worn over his scrubs, and some seriously angry eyebrows.
* He's apparently a potato clad in a silver spacesuit. Or aluminum foil. It's tough to tell. He doesn't look a lot like a potato, but neither does the actual character from Kaiju Big Battel. He's got goggle like...eyes? Or goggles? That always goes a long way in my book.
* Part of a low budget government experiment to create a robotic hero, RoBoX is a darn cool figure. He's actually supposed to be made of cardboard so this figure might be more durable than the real thing! I love the long, stretchy looking arms and the giant claw in place of a right hand. You're not going to forget this guy's name! You know. Since it's written on his body.
* The Sky Deviler is now deceased, I believe. That's a real shame because this guy is quite cool looking. His really unusual mouth, scaly body, and singular eye show off some impressive sculpting. He reminds me of Fred in his alien costume in Big Hero 6, although with two less eyes.
* Taking the place of Sky Deviler is Baby Deviler. He's tiny and reminds me of Baby M.U.S.C.L.E./ Mito from Kinnikuman. He's so little and cute! Also, check it out: Only one tooth!
* His full name is D.W. Cycloptopuss III and he's the son of the King of the Deep. He's amazing detailed and has nearly everything you could want from a sea creature! Claws? Check. Tentacles? Check. A codpiece made out of a seashell? Check!
* One half of the Los Plantanos (alongside of Pablo Plantain), Pedro Plantain was a hero and a legend. From what I gather he was murdered, however, and then turned into a zombie. The CIA also tried to create some imposter plantains that were yellow rather than green (because most Americans don't know what color a plantain is supposed to be). He's wearing cargo shorts, too!
* One of Dr. Cube's evil minions definitely has the Jason Voorhees thing going on, doesn't he? Long string hair, a creepy mask, and a sharp machete all make for a pretty wicked looking figure.
* I believe the Astroroach is a brand new character made for this line. He's pretty cool so far as space insects go. The back of the figure has wings and stuff while the front reminds me of a spark plug for some reason.
* Hey! It's Pheyden! Since Matt Doughty was consulted on the line and Onell Designs helped to get these made, Pheyden has popped up in this series. He's also wrestled as well. My daughter and I love his match against the Silver Potato.
* Last but not least is another favorite of mine, French Toast. He's a giant, yummy looking piece of French Toast. Wait... no he's not. He's clearly a giant waffle. What kind of game are you trying to play with me here, Kaiju Big Battel?
* Kaiju Big Battel also sent along one of the cardboard sleeves that the figures will be sold in. They come two to a pack and the sleeve shows off some great artwork on the front while having pictures of all of the figures on the back.
* They also sent along a little pin with Dr. Cube's logo on it. It's fun!
This is an Epic set of minifigures. I love the variety of the figures, the quality of the plastic, and the overall aesthetic of the line. I'm really wanting to get into this show a bit more as it seems fantastically fun and silly. I also hope that we see Series 2 of Kaiju Big Battel's Kaikeshi line before too long. There are still plenty of designs that would make great toys. Fun, durable, and a great tribute to M.U.S.C.L.E. and it's ilk, these are minifigure done right!
If you're interested in checking out more Pheyden reviews I've actually reviewed some of the OTMFG versions including the purple Ghoul Zombie Pheyden, the Hot Pink AP Zombie Pheyden,
the St. Patrick's Day inspired Lucky Green Zombie Pheyden, and Winter Blues Zombie Pheyden.
These are the first figures of Dr. Cube, RoBoX, French Toast, Astroroach, Silver Potato, Sky Deviler, Baby Deviler, Cube Minion, Cycloptopuss, and Pedro Plantain I've reviewed.