Captain Phasma (Quicksilver Baton), the Stormtrooper (with Blast Accessories) is another figure from Star Wars: The Black Series that appeared internationally before Hasbro ever even officially announced it. Unlike Phasma, the Stormtrooper doesn't have a planned US release. I picked this guy up at the same time I picked up Phasma and I'll be checking him out today. This is an interesting release as he seems to be Hasbro's attempt at a more deluxe figure that is released with some larger accessories. It feels like some sort of attempt to mix together the standard Black Series line with the Centerpiece Series. That could have worked but this figure ended up being a bit plane. Let's check out this Stormtrooper after the break...
Height: 6 1/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge, double hinged knees, swivel
thighs, ball jointed hips, a ball jointed abdomen, swivel/hinge shoulders,
swivel biceps, double hinged elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, a hinged neck,
and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: BlasTech E-11
blaster rifle, energy blast, 2-piece stand, and 2 explosion effects.
Non-Scalper Price: $40 dollars
* Stormtroopers are the bread and butter of army building in the Star Wars universe and Hasbro has released lots of them in multiple colors. Of course, this guy will mostly be compared to the standard Stormtrooper release (in the center) and the battle damaged Stormtrooper from the 2015 Amazon 4-pack (on the right). This one is a bit more scene specific but the battle damage looks better. Otherwise, he's pretty much exactly the same with a bit stronger feeling plastic.
* Again, if you've seen the standard Stormtrooper you know what to expect here. If not, definitely check out that review. The only real difference between the previous figures and this guy are the blaster marks on his helmet, chest, and right shoulder. The paint work does look pretty decent on these so I'd consider that a plus. At least you're getting something a bit different for your money.
* Of course the Stormtrooper comes with the BlasTech E-11
blaster rifle, as that's the main weapon for the Imperials. It's the
same as the version that has come with most other releases and it's still a decent sculpt.
* One thing I really like about this figure is the inclusion of the blast effect. It easily fits over the end of the E-11 and gives the weapon the effect of firing. It might not be 100% screen accurate but it's quite cool and it reminds me of the blast effects and Force effects from the Attack of the Clones line.
* Included here is something that really should be included with every figure in the Black Series: A display stand. It's actually made from two pieces (I'll get to that in a minute) and it features two pegs along with clips so multiple stands can clip together. Of course, since this is the only figure to have a stand, why does it matter if they clip together?
* The stand is actually reversible. The top side has the Star Wars logo while the bottom side looks like the flooring of the Death Star. It's a cool feature to have this reversible and it is definitely something I didn't notice right away.
* Here's one of the more unusual accessories to come out of the Black Series: A random explosion. Molded in a translucent orange plastic with red and black effects this is a large explosion that can sit on the ground or on top of a vehicle, I presume, so that you can pretend there is some chaos going on in your displays.
* The second explosion is a bit smaller but features the same effect as it also has different colors and a translucent paint effect. They kind of remind me of the explosions from the Centerpiece series statues but from what I can tell they are not the same pieces. Interesting.
* Considering we've seen so many Star Wars figures come with weapons with some weathering on the weapons and some paint applications, it's odd that a figure really designed to be an accessory pack has such a plain blaster.
* The idea of the explosion effects is cool but other than just having them positioned on the ground or on a flat surface they're kind of lifeless. They're a bit to too small to look natural just standing alone
Besides the basic Black Series Stormtrooper I've also reviewed the battle damaged Stormtrooper from the Amazon 4-pack, and the Crimson Stormtrooper from the Entertainment Earth 4-pack. I've also reviewed the Hero Mashers Stormtrooper, the Vintage Collection's TK-421, three of the Rebels sets with Stormtroopers (Garazeb "Zeb" Orrelios and Stormtrooper, Sabine Wren and Stormtrooper, and Stormtrooper Commander and Hera Syndulla), the Micro Machines Ice Planet Hoth playset with a Stormtrooper microfigure, and the Stormtrooper Mini Head.
For more figures from Star Wars: The Black Series, check out the following:
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Phasma (Quicksilver Baton)
Captain Poe Dameron
Chewbacca (Target Exclusive)
Chewbacca (The Force Awakens)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Wolffe
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Enfys Nest's Swoop Bike/ Enfys Nest
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Han Solo (Exogorth Escape)
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo (The Force Awakens)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Lando Calrissian (Solo)
Lando Calrissian (The Empire Strikes Back)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib