- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- The Batgirl Library
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast
Saturday, August 4, 2018
Action Figure Review: Gamorrean Guard from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 5 7/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed mid torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged jaw, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Two vibro axes and a staff.
Non-Scalper Price: $30 dollars
* The Gamorrean Guard looks fantastic. He has some excellent paint work, an incredible sculpt, a thicker than normal size, and the inclusion of soft goods for his loincloth. He is very well done and definitely stands out as one of the coolest figures Hasbro has made yet.
* The headsculpt is also quite good. I love the work on the eyes, the helmet, and the wrinkles on the Gammorean's porcine face. The paint on the nose and mouth might seem a but too heavy but I think it actually matches the film costumes from Return of the Jedi rather well.
* Like Admiral Ackbar, the Gamorrean Guard also features a hinged mouth. He looks rather silly with the mouth fully open but the hinge does allow you to give him some smaller, open mouthed expressions that do improve the look of the figure and might help each figure to stand out if you decide to army build these.
* Due to his shape, the Gamorrean doesn't initially feel as well articulated as your standard Black Series figure. That's not true, though, as the Gamorrean actually has as many joints than your standard figure (more if you count the mouth) and, with a little effort, you can get some very battle ready poses out of him. He isn't as havy as you may think, though, as his stomach/ waist is actually an overlay over a more standard body, just FYI.
* There is some rather impressive sculpting and detailing on the Gamorrean Guard's armor. His leather tunic has a nice dark dry-brushing effect while the metal elements, such as the shoulder pads, look incredible. Also, the bandolier the Gamorrean Guard wears his a separate piece that can shift around a bit. It might be removable with some effort, but I don't really want to mess with it.
* The Gamorrean Guard features a soft goods loincloth to cover his nether regions and it actually works quite well. I like the shaggy look of the loincloth and the color matches up pretty nicely with the tunic. It helps make him feel a bit more "deluxe" than he would if the loincloth were just made of plastic.
* The Gamorrean Guard includes three weapons, the first being the vibroaxe that I most associate with the vintage Kenner. Gamorrean Guard figure. It's my favorite and I love the paintwork here. It's excellent with nice, rusty dry-brushing.
* The second weapon is a simpler looking ax. It has the same rusty looking blade paintwork as the first one but it has a smaller blade. This is the style of ax that came with the Power of the Force II Gamorrean Guard, so that's what I always associate it with.
* Last, but not least, is a vibro-staff. It features some minor paintwork on the head but it otherwise just cast in a darker grey plastic. It's still a very cool accessory, though, and the presence of three axes gives you a few cool options to display your figures with.
This is actually the first Gamorrean Guard I've reviewed on the site! For more Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III figures, check out the following:
442nd Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper, Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Poe Dameron
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Chewbacca (Target Exclusive)
Chewbacca (The Force Awakens)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Wolffe
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo (The Force Awakens)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Lando Calrissian (Solo)
Lando Calrissian (The Empire Strikes Back)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Island Journey)
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty