Marvel Legends line has been using for a year or so. DJ is part of a small series of figures which also includes Rey (Island Journey) and a revised version of the HasCon Captain Rex figure. So, what do you think about DJ? I think DJ (played by Benicio del Toro) is a fascinating character that was stuck into the fairly pointless Canto Bight storyline and thus didn't feel like he was of much consequence. As a slicer (the Star Wars version of a hacker), he seems like the kind of scoundrel that would typically be pretty popular with Star Wars fans but I honestly don't see much talk about DJ. Hopefully we'll see the character again in either Episode IX or a book, (he's currently in a comic, too) and get more of a chance to appreciate him. Let's check out the figure and see how it fairs after the break, shall we?
Height: 6 1/4 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, balljointed hips, a ball jointed abdomen, swivel/hinge shoulders,
swivel/ hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, a hinged neck,
and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Glie-44 pistol, Relby K-25 Blaster in heavy configuration, and a removable jacket shell.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* DJ definitely has the look of an underworld dwelling Star Wars scoundrel: Dark colors, interesting jacket, scruff, and a holster for a pistol. He kind of reminds me of Elan Sleazebaggano, the Balosar drug dealer from Episode II. Of course, unlike Elan Sleazebaggano, DJ is a human. There is definitely a lack of alien side character in the Sequel Trilogy, isn't there? Anyways, DJ does have a cool look and Hasbro has done a great job of capturing his grungy, unkempt appearance.
* DJ's "name" stands for Don't Join, which is kind of his motto. That's what is stamped onto this tin plate on the side of his hat and the aurebesh writing is not only stamped in but also quite legible.
* DJ's kodyok leather coat is pretty nice looking. Finn and Rose found the dude sleeping in a jail cell and his grungy appearance is present even in the coat, which seems to have a rough and rugged look to it. The design on the collar is pretty unique and superbly painted.
* While he's wearing a long coat (doesn't a figure like this get you pumped up for an action figure of the trench coat wearing Han Solo from the Endor strike team?) the articulation really isn't impeded much at all. He moves as well as most any other Star Wars: The Black Series figure and can take some great poses. The range of motion in the elbows is incredible.
* DJ includes two blasters, both of which are really impressive pieces. First up is the Relby K-25 blaster which is used by the Canto Bight Police. This is a reconfigurable blaster that can be adjusted into a rifle mode and a pistol mode as well as the heavy configuration, which is seen here. It's actually an upgraded version of the K-23 that the Bespin Wing Guard used, interestingly enough. I don't remember DJ using this in the film (or any blaster, really), but I could be wrong on that.
* Next up is the Glie-44 which is carried by quite a few folks in the Sequel Trilogy including Poe Dameron and Finn. This is a great accessory with some excellent paint applications. Killer work here, Habsro.
* DJ is sporting a holster for his Glie-44 underneath his trench coat. It has a functioning strap to keep the pistol safe and secure and it looks fantastic.
* If you look at DJ's shirt, you'll notice that the colors on the top half and bottom half don't match up quite right. With the coat on it isn't as noticeable (and, really, the coat isn't meant to be removed since the sleeves are sculpted on) but in the right light you can see the color difference even from the front.
* DJ comes with two pistols and no really good trigger fingers. So sad!
DJ is an Epic figure and really shows the great work that Hasbro is doing with this line. The headsculpt and face printing are incredible, the work on the jacket is excellent, and the two included accessories are really impressive. I'm very, very excited for what the Black Series has in store in 2018. All of the Solo figures look great and upcoming Original Trilogy figures like the Gamorrean Guard, Dengar, Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Leia in her Hoth Gear, and Grand Moff Tarkin are all amazing looking as well. It's nice to see Hasbro giving this line their all again. Now, please: Reveal Count Dooku, Mace Windu, Padme, Yavin Ceremony Luke, Leia from the Marvel series, ROTJ Admiral Ackbar, and Ponda Baba!
This is the first DJ figure I've reviewed. I've reviewed plenty of other Black Series figures, though, including:
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Poe Dameron
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo (Legends)
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (Throne Room)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess