- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
Friday, December 29, 2017
Action Figure Review: Kylo Ren (Throne Room) from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 6 1/2 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a balljointed head.
Accessories: Lightsaber, diecast unlit lightsaber hilt, diecast metal alternate helmeted head, cloak, and throne room floor base.
Non-Scalper Price: $35 dollars
On the left is the Wal-Mart exclusive Kylo Ren. On the right is the standard Kylo Ren. From the neck down they're exactly the same. The headsculpts are different, however, so I'll show that off. For more details on the figure's general bodysculpt and articulation, check out my review of the basic figure.
* I liked the headsculpt on the standard figure but this one is even better. The portrait is sharper, the expression is a bit meaner, the scar is far more pronounced, the paint work is cleaner, and the detailing on the hair is crisper. It's a really good headsculpt and definitely a reason to opt for this figure over the standard release if you're going to pick just one.
* Another unique aspect of this figure is the die-cast metal helmeted head. It's a good version of Kylo Ren's helmet with lots of scuffs all over it. I do wish the figure had included a destroyed version of the mask from after Kylo's recent temper tantrum, though.
* Like the standard figure, Kylo Ren includes a lit lightsaber and an unlit hilt. Unlike the standard figure the unlit hilt is made from die-cast metal and both hilts have much nicer paintjobs.
* Kylo Ren includes the floor from Supreme Leader Snoke's Throne Room. The floor is a semicircle that features translucent blue panes of plastic embedded in. It's quite large and makes for a nice display piece. Plus, it attaches to Snoke's throne.
* Here's a pic of the floor attached to the throne that was included with the Gamestop exclusive Supreme Leader Snoke. Maybe you can pick up Snoke for half off now. Heh heh.
* One of the selling points of this figure listed on the packaging is that he includes "fabric costuming." It's a simple fabric cloak that rests over his shoulders. It rests there OK but it looks a bit plain, especially after the early publicity shots showed a very cool pattern on the cape. This one is kind of blah and I find myself liking the plastic cape on the standard figure a bit better.
* The die-cast metal helmet is really hard to get onto the neck peg. The exterior shell of the helmet is die-cast metal with a plastic insert but it's still tough to swap heads here.
If you're looking for more Kylo-Ren inspired products, check out my reviews of the standard TFA Kylo Ren, the TLJ Kylo Ren, and the K-Mart exclusive Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base) set, as well as the SDCC 2016 Kylo Ren Unmasked. Of course, a miniature Kylo Ren also came with the Micro Machines First Order Star Destroyer playset. Oh, and there is the Micro Machines Kylo Ren Playcase, too!
For more Star Wars: The Black Series figures, check out the following:
442nd Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper, Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Poe Dameron
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)- Ahch-To Island
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Resistance Tech Rose
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Jedi Training)- Crait
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty