Batwoman, Katana, and Hawkgirl. Just missing Cheetah!). Let's check out the high flying Hawkgirl after the break...
Height: 6 3/4ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees,
balljointed hips w/ vertical hinges, waist hinge, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge
shoulders, bicep swivels, double hinged elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, and
a balljointed head.
Non-Scalper Price: $24-$28 dollars
Sculpted by: Joe Menna
* I love Hawkgirl's design and DC Collectibles captures it perfectly in this figure. Hawkgirl's Bombshells appearance kind of looks like a mechanic with a simple t-shirt and some green coveralls. The paintwork is quite sharp and accentuates a terrific sculpt.
DC Icons. In spite of the downgraded articulation from series 1, Hawkgirl is still a solid and durable action fiugre with a pretty great range of motion. She is just
so insanely fun to play with and to photograph.
* Hawkgirl's headsculpt is gorgeous and the paintwork really makes it work. I love her hawkshaped helmet, her green eyes, and her smirk.
* I also love the goggles hanging around her neck. They're a separate piece just hanging around her neck. I wish they were removable and functional to give the character an alternate appearance, though, but they're still quite cool. They even have true translucent lenses.
* I love the way Hawkgirl's hair flows out from her helmet. It's a great effect and the paintwork makes it appear quite striking.
* Hawkgirl is only wearing her green jumpsuit part way. The upper half is actually a separate piece that hangs down from the figure's waist with the sleeves drooping down to her knees. It may hinder articulation just a little but but it's an incredibly convincing way to capture the character's design.
* The boots are incredible. Not only do they have super neat and clean paintwork on the laces but the leathery sides feature an excellent two-tone effect that makes them look very realistic. There is also a cool wing design etched into the side.
* Unlike the series 1 figures the series 2 figures come with only a few accessories. Hawkgirl only includes her jet pack, an absolute necessity for the figure. The paintwork and design on this piece are incredible. The arms of the jetpack that feature the ignition switches are incredible. This fits on easily and looks smashing!
* Oddly enough, despite still being able to hold the handles properly thanks to her stellar articulation, it's clear that the jetpack's arms are a bit too short. It looks a bit awkward.
* Notice something missing? Check out the statue again. Why in the world did DC Collectibles not give Hawkgirl her bubblegum bubble? An alternate head would have been an ideal way to do this. This is one of those things that's a part of the statue's design so it seems just wrong to leave it off of the action figure.
Hawkgirl is a Great figure with an excellent sculpt, useful articulation, and some fine paintwork. Hawkgirl doesn't get a lot of action figures or merchandise so any product based on her is a welcome addition but I'm especially partial to this design so that's even better. I do wish DC Collectibles hadn't done away with the extra hands and extra accessories that the first series figures had come with, though. A cool retro styled laser pistol, an alternate bubble gum blowing head, and a few alternate hands would have elevated things to the next level.
If you're looking for more Hawkgirl reviews you can check out my review of the DC Comics Lil Bombshells Hawkgirl minifigure and the DC Super Hero Girls Hawkgirl.
For more DC Comics Designer Series figures, check out the following:
Amanda Conner Series
Holiday Harley Quinn
Spacesuit Harley Quinn
Superhero Harley Quinn
Traditional Harley Quinn
Ant Lucia Series
Bombshells Harley Quinn
Bombshells Poison Ivy
Bombshells Wonder Woman
Darwyn Cooke Series
Greg Capullo Series
Zero Year: Survival Batman
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run