single packaged release, there are actually quite a few differences here that should make this figure appealing to you if you're a die-hard Black Series fan including a pretty awesome display base and some die-cast weapons. The figure is actually different as well, featuring improved paint and actual soft goods. Hasbro has released some of these "deluxe" variations of the popular characters for both Episode VII and Rogue One so they're just continuing the tradition here. Let's check out this new version of Rey after the break...
Height: 5 5/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees,
swivel thighs, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge
shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a
Accessories: Staff, 2-piece lightsaber (hilt and blade), die-cast metal lightsaber hilt, die-cast metal blaster pistol, and 2-piece display base.
Non-Scalper Price: $35 dollars
* Here's a look at the TRU exclusive Rey (left) and the standard single packed Rey (right). As you can the paint is improved on this newer figure on the arms and head and the tunic is completely different, featuring soft goods. While they look very similar these are two fairly different figures.
* I like this costume. It has some similarities to Rey's standard TFA costume
with the crossed fabric strips held together by a belt and the arm
wraps, but the black tunic underneath is quite different. The colors are
too. I like the bluish-gray fabric. Is this just what Rey has laying
around extra or is this something that pays homage to Luke's Jedi
order? While the appearance of the soft goods isn't as crisp as the sculpting on the standard figure, the soft goods do add a life-like appearance all of their own. How you feel about soft goods probably will heavily factor in to your own feelings about this figure.
* Not only is the paintwork on Rey's arm wraps improved (they actually have some weathering on them) but she has a prominent gash in her right bicep. The paint work does a good job of making this look realistic in this scale.
* Rather than just having the cloth wrap, the bottom of Rey's black tunic is also made from fabric. It has a different texture to it that differentiates it from the outer robe. The layered look here is pulled off very well and doesn't look oversized at all.
* I really don't think is a different headsculpt than the standard figure but the paintwork really improves this one. This actually looks like Daisy Risley! Great job here, Hasbro.
* Rey includes two of the same accessories that the standard figure includes: Hr staff (the strap is a bit lighter in color) and the Skywalker family lightsaber. The lightsaber does separate into two pieces just like every saber before.
* One of the selling points of this figure is the inclusion of the NN-14 blaster pistol that Han Solo gave to Rey on Takodana.
This time it's made from die-cast metal, though. Die-cast metal accessories weren't something I was eagerly awaiting or anything but it is a cool feature. It's a slightly different mold from the pistol included with the standard figure, too.
* The second new accessory is a die-cast metal lightsaber hilt. Again, not exactly something everyone was clamoring for but it is a cool extra and a very nicely painted piece.
* Not only does Rey come with the NN-14, but she also has a holster to stow it in. It fits like a glove and is easy to access!
* What do you think this large piece of machinery is? It looks quite a bit like a Snowspeeder thrust nozzle, doesn't it? Perhaps it's a leftover from the planet's past when it served as a Rebel base?
* While the soft goods wraps look great there definitely is some fraying going on here. That seems to happen on a lot of the Black Series soft goods.
* The trigger guard of the blaster pistol is a solid piece meaning that Rey's trigger finger won't fit in there. That makes it fairly difficult for her to hold the pistol.
I've reviewed a couple of Rey figures, including Hasbro's Black Series Rey (Jakku) & BB-8, the K-Mart exclusive Rey (Starkiller Base), Rey with her Speeder, and Rey (Jedi Training). I've also checked out the Micro Machines Speeder Chase set that includes a micro Rey on her Speeder.
If you're looking for more figures from Star Wars: The Black Series, check out the following:
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Admiral Ackbar and First Order Officer
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Poe Dameron
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Clone Captain Rex (HasCon Exclusive)
Clone Commander Gree
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Elite Praetorian Guard
Elite Praetorian Guard (with Heavy Blade)
Finn (First Order Disguise)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order Stormtrooper (with Gear)
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Guardians of Evil 4-Pack
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Inferno Squad Agent
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Jedi Training)
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Rey's Speeder (Jakku)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib