One:12 Collective Mutant Leaders a month or so ago, I also wanted to pick up Mattel's version. Mattel has really done a nice job releasing some cool Dark Knight Returns inspired figures and I wanted this version of the mutant leader to go along with them. Ready for a closer look at a creepy Batman villain who seems to be more monster than man? Then join me after the break...
Height: 6 5/8ths inches
Articulation: Hinged ankles w/ minor lateral rockers, hinged knees, swivel thighs, swivel/hinge hips, swivel waist, hinged mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel biceps, hinged elbows, swivel wrists, and a balljointed head.
Accessories: Crowbar, torch, and the left arm for the Doomsday build-a-figure
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* Based on the Masters of the Universe Classics standard body, the Mutant Leader is quite well articulated and extremely sturdy. The beefier, brawnier style works great with the DKR subset of DC Comics Multiverse and adds to the character's imposing appearance.
* This headsculpt is incredible. To be honest, I might like it a little better than the Mezco sculpt. The goggles look more substantial and the expression is just awesome. This guy truly looks like an animal, especially due to those crazy teeth and that wicked snarl!
* I like that Mattel worked out some new wrist pieces and a very cool waist piece to give the Mutant Leader his full range of spikes. The wrist spikes do rotate as well, although I imagine that's just because of the design rather than being a play feature of some sort.
* Mutant Leader also has some nasty feet with hideous toenails and a set of spiked collars around his ankles. These are also grotesque in the best possible way.
* The Mutant Leader comes with a crowbar. It's a simple accessory but what more can you really do with a crowbar, right? It looks good, fits in his hands, and presumably breaks bones.
* I really dig the cool torch that the Mutant Leader comes with. It looks great in his hands and, while it doesn't use any translucent, just adds to his terrifying vibe. This thing looks kind of complicated. I wonder what it's built from?
* I actually just sold all of my Collect & Connect pieces from this series, so I don't have a piece to show you, but I will let you know that the Mutant Leader comes with the left arm of the New 52 Doomsday. While I didn't feel the need to build this figure I still appreciate Mattel adding build-a-figures into the line. Not only does it give you some extra value if you're collecting the entire series (or help you recoup a few bucks if you're not interested in a particular figure) but it also somewhat helps to prevent shelf warmers. Not perfectly, but BAFs can, when done right, help with that problem that plagues the action figure industry.
* OK, here it goes...
The Mutant Leader does not have his distinctive nipples. Yes, that sounds really weird, but look on the packaging image above or at this link: The distinctive spiky nipples are as much a part of the Mutant Leader's looks as his crazy glasses or his insanely sharp teeth. Considering that the picture of this guy is right on the front of the box, I tend to lean towards this being a cost cutting issue rather than a censorship one.
If you're looking for more of the Mutant Leader, check out my review of the SDCC 2015 One:12 Collective Mutant Leader vs Batman set.
I've reviewed plenty of other DC Comics Multiverse figures, including:
DC Comics Multiverse (6 inches) by Mattel (2016)
Armored Batman (The Dark Knight Returns)
Batman from Zero Year
Earth 23 Superman
The Joker from Batman: Endgame
Reverse Flash (The Flash TV Series)
Robin (The Dark Knight Returns)
DC Comics Multiverse: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Mattel (2016)
Son of Batman
DC Comics Multiverse: Batman v. Superman by Mattel (2016)
Batman's Grapnel Blaster (Collect & Connect accessory)
DC Comics Multiverse: Suicide Squad by Mattel (2016)
Harley Quinn (6 inch)
Harley Quinn (12 inch)
Harley Quinn (Gold Dress)
Harley Quinn (Toys R Us Exclusive)
The Joker (Toys R Us Exclusive)
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess