1989 Tim Burton film. Ben Affleck makes use of this tool in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice in a way that makes seems to me inspired by the Arkham-verse video games. Prop replicas can be expensive pieces to obtain and now, interestingly give you the option of building one alongside of your action figure collecting. Ready for a closer look at this interesting Collect & Connect piece? Then join me after the break...
Height: 7 1/2 inches
Length: 10 1/8ths inches (Barrel to handle)
Figures Needed to Complete: Aquaman,
Armored Batman, Bat Creature, Batman, Knightmare Batman, Lex Luthor, Superman, and Wonder Woman.
* The handle actually looks like it's made of wood. The wood grain texture on this is quite nice and even has some drybrushing to make it look more realistic. This is the largest piece of the gun (it came with Superman) and it includes a non-functioning trigger as well as the middle section of the base.
* Here's the multi-piece stand that was included with Batman and Wonder Woman. I like the look of this as it's very cool that there is a way to put the gun on display. I kind of question why Mattel made the display stand two separate colors, though. I can understand the clear arm holding up the front half of the Grapnel Blaster but why make the base two distinct shades of gold?
* On the side of the gun is a small clip to hold two of the grapnel darts. This piece is the smallest piece to be included with a figure and was included with Armored Batman.
* Here's a closer look at one of the darts. Aquaman came with two darts and they can actually fold up for storage. They receive a nice dry-brushing to give them a metallic look. Sometimes then can come out of the package a bit bent up but mine have reverted back to their normal, healthy state over the couple of months.
* And here are the two darts stashed in the holder. They do look pretty wicked stowed on the side like this.
* Here's the side of the gun which is made up of three pieces from the Bat Creature, Knightmare Batman, and Lex Luthor. I really think Mattel did a fine job with this as, looking at it, I don't think you'd guess at first that the whole thing is made of plastic. The detail and dry-brushing effects are super effective at convincing your mind this thing is made of wood and metal.
* There are even a few non-functioning buttons at the top of the handle. I guess these are the buttons Batman uses to activate the gun's features.
* The darts can plug into the tip of the lower barrel for display. They fit in their quite securely and give you another way to display the Grapnel Blaster.
* Here's a shot of the Grapnel Blaster with the "firing grapnel dart" that was included with the Toys R Us exclusive Batman Unmasked. It does look pretty cool on display like this although the "cord" does tend to wilt a bit over time. The Toys R Us exclusive Heat Vision Superman also has a special piece for the Grapnel Blaster but I never picked that figure up.
* I'm sure Mattel did this for some sort of safety purposes but it's worth nothing that the handle of the gun is permanently attached to a piece of the base. This is a fairly realistic looking weapon (in terms of color choices, anyways) so maybe this was done to somehow bypass a policy or mandate regarding toy weapons.
* Here's an image of me holding the Grapnel Blaster. As you can see, the gun doesn't seem to be too undersized at all. With a little work I'm sure a determined cosplayer could augment this into a costume prop nicely.
I've reviewed all of the other figures necessary to build this including Wonder Woman yesterday and these guys in the past:
I've only reviewed two other Build-a-figure items on here:
DC Comics Multiverse (6 inches) by Mattel (2016)
Marvel Legends: Iron Man 3 by Hasbro (2013)
Iron Monger Build-a-figure
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib