- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
Saturday, November 5, 2016
Re-Halloween Special: Gas Phantom (Midnight Special) from The Worst by Super7
Height: 3 7/8ths
Articulation: Swivel hips, swivel shoulders, and a swivel neck.
Accessories: Gas gun and hose.
Non-Scalper Price: $90 as part of the Midnight Special set, including the five other figures in the series.
* If you read this site regularly, you know that packaging has to be pretty special for me to bother mentioning it. The Worst has some incredible card art and is absolutely worth mentioning. Featuring illustrations of the characters by Ed Repka, a prominent illustrator of album covers, these cards really bring these characters to life. Without this art and a glimpse into the "idealized" versions of The Worst, I don't think these figures would have half the appeal they do.
* There's really not much to say about the articulation on faux retro action figures: You get five points. Is anyone surprised? What is nice, though, is that the articulation feels very solid and the plastic quality seems really sturdy. Some of the earlier Funko ReAction releases felt very cheap, but these feel much better. It feels like something made to be played with over and over.
* I'm a sucker for characters wearing goggles and son, let me tell you, the Gas Phantom is wearing some killer goggles. I love red lenses, too. If it were socially acceptable, I'd wear goggles with red lenses every day of the week. I also like how he has a cord of rope around his neck. I initially wondered if it was supposed to be a noose but it's actually attached to his backpack.
* While the Gas Phantom's outfit is fairly plain, it does pull of the look of someone in a homemade costume pretty well. This guy wouldn't be out of place in the Watchmen universe, really, would he? I definitely think the Midnight Special variant is the way to go as the black and grey color scheme seems so much cooler than the tan color scheme of the standard release.
* Here's the Gas Phantom's gas tank. It's two tanks strapped together with "X-4" written on one of them You can also see the rope that's wrapped around the Phantom's neck attached to the tanks. How thick of a neck does this guy have to hand his tanks from it?
* I'm nuts about this gun! It's a gas gun and it kind of reminds me of a cross between the Sandman's pistol and Darkwing Duck's gas gun. Actually, the pistol looks a heck of a lot like Darkwing Duck's gun. I wonder if someone at Super7 was inspired by it? The clear plastic tube that connects to the pack and the gun looks pretty cool. It falls off a bit too easily but it's a nice effect and displays well.
* There's some weird paint rubbing on his thigh. Not sure what's going on here, but the black outfit makes it fairly noticeable.
Keep checking back here every day in October and the first week of November for more Toy Terror! Also, make sure to check out the Toy Bloggers United contest being hosted here this month! For more 31 Days of Toy Terror, check out my Hokey Halloween Horror page for spooky fun from 2016 and years past!