- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
Saturday, September 9, 2017
Road to The Last Jedi: Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master) from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 5 7/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a balljointed head.
Accessories: Jedi cloak
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* First of all, a big positive is that we finally have an official action figure of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker! That's pretty exciting in and of itself. It's also welcome that this is a pretty good looking figure. Luke's outfit is fairly simple with a mixture of off-white and grayish-tan robes and a simple brown belt, but it's cool. There's something almost jarring with seeing Luke wearing an outfit that seems so much more at home in the Prequels.
*There are actually a lot of different textures on this figure. While the off-white segments are smooth and flat, the grayish-tan parts have a more textured design. Heck, the leather belt even looks pretty solid for such a simple piece.
* In person, this is an incredible sculpt. I'm not used to seeing Mark Hamill looking like this but Hasbro captured the haunted look of the character perfectly. The paintwork is quite neat and clean, Luke's blue eyes are piercing, and the hair is excellent detailed.
* I love Luke's mechanical right hand. The sculpt is very cool. I cannot wait to see this thing in action more in the film.
* Luke's articulation is a bit bland. It's not terrible, but the plastic robes do inhibit leg motion a bit. Unless he actually had cloth robes I'm not sure what else I should have expected, though. He still feels sturdy and well made and I can't help but pick him up. I'm honestly resisting giving him a lightsaber until we see what he wields in The Last Jedi. We'll see how long I can hold out.
* Luke comes with a tannish-gray cloak that fits over his head and shoulders. It seems like a good idea but it just doesn't stay on very well. It also has lots of loose strings hanging off of the inside seams, making the piece feel kind of messy. I usually prefer soft goods to plastic, but this piece just doesn't feel like it has enough structure to it.
* On the left side of his belt Luke is sporting this little slip. I assume it's to hold a lightsaber but A. Luke doesn't come with one and B. It looks pretty flimsy. I really wish Luke had come with anything. A staff, cane, anything, really.
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master) is a nice looking figure that I guarantee every Star Wars fan alive probably wants, but unfortunately he's kind of dull. I don't know, maybe it's because the robe isn't as dynamic as it should be or because he's lacking a lightsaber or cane of some sort. I don't regret this figure at all, because c'mon: It's a new variant of Luke Skywalker. I just wish that he had some little extra that made him a bit more exciting. My speculation is that he'll have some cool lightsaber or staff revealed during The Last Jedi, and then Hasbro can sell us the figure again. What do you think?
Looking for more Luke Skywalker reviews? You're in luck! A few months back I reviewed the Funko POP! Luke Skywalker with Landspeeder! I've also reviewed micro versions of Luke from the Galoob Micro Machines Classic Characters (2nd Edition) set and the Hasbro Endor Forest Battle, multiple Black Series Lukes including (Bespin Outfit), (X-Wing Pilot), (Jedi Knight) , (Stormtrooper Disguise), in Hoth Disguise with Wampa, the standard classic Luke Skywalker, and the SDCC Luke with the X-34 Landspeeder. Oh, and the Hero Mashers Luke Skywalker and Luke Skywalker Vs. Darth Vader.
If you're looking for more Black Series Phase III figures, check out the following:
442nd Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper, Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Clone Commander Gree
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty