- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
Saturday, September 23, 2017
Road the Last Jedi: Maz Kanata from Star Wars: The Black Series by Hasbro
Height: 4 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, swivel hinge knees, swivel thighs, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, a balljointed head, and swivel goggles.
Accessories: Vest, lightsaber hilt, DH-17 blaster pistol, and a curio box.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* Maz Kanata is not only extremely well articulated but her smaller frame features nearly every joint of a regular sized Black Series figure. She is plenty of fun to pose and looks great interacting with a wide variety of accessories.
* Maz has some of the best sculpting in the Black Series. From the wrinkles on her face to the intricately handwoven fibers of her homemade clothing, Maz Kanata shows off what Hasbro can do in this scale. There are not that many "alien" creatures in the Black Series yet, so seeing how impressively Hasbro can work on this scale definitely makes me wish for more. The paintwork is also excellent with lots of clean lines and vibrant colors.
* Maz's vest is removable and, since it doesn't have sculpted sleeves, it can be taken off to give the figure a different appearance.
* I love the paintwork and sculpting on Maz. Hasbro did a beautiful job capturing her wise, aged visage.
* The goggles also flip down thanks to swivels on the sides of her hat. They look incredible and work perfectly. This was one of the features I most hoped for with this figure and Hasbro definitely delivered.
* Maz apparently also knitted these socks. They're so lively and colorful! I cannot express how delightful these look in person! Great work, Hasbro.
* Check out all of the various adornments on Maz Kanata's hands. I'm repeating myself here again but the sculpt and paintwork is just fantastic. This is some of the best work I've seen from Hasbro.
* Interestingly, Maz Kanata comes with a DH-17 blaster pistol. I'm not sure why, but it's a great looking accessory with a nice paint application on the barrel tip. We've seen this accessory before, but it's not one that you can have too many of.
* The DH-17 isn't the main attraction here accessory-wise, though: It's this awesome wroshyr wood chest that includes a variety of curios Maz has assembled over the years, including the Skywalker lightsaber. The lightsaber hilt is what we've seen with many figures before but the chest is all new. It opens, can hold the hilt, and is beautifully sculpted and painted.
* I have one complaint. In the visual guide, Maz Kanata has a unique looking blaster pistol. Why didn't Hasbro include that here? The DH-17 seems like such an odd choice. The traditional 1/18th scaled figure includes the pistol, so Hasbro certainly knows of its existence. A budget issue perhaps?