characters without living actor/actress counterparts and non-humans, they seem to have a tough time capturing likenesses. Still, Rey also shows off many of the strengths in this line: Nice accessories, functional holsters, and unexpected costume details. Let's take a closer look at the (presumably) major hero of the Sequel Trilogy after the break...
Height: 5 5/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees,
swivel thighs, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge
shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a
Accessories: Staff, 2-piece lightsaber (hilt and blade), and blaster pistol.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* Rey's articulation is really good. The Black Series figures are essentially built like the female Marvel Legends figures meaning that they can move pretty well. Not as well as a Marvel Legends figure, but close. Rey is a durable, well articulated action figure that is really fun to play with. Having three different accessories to utilize also helps to inspire your imagination in giving her some cool poses.
* I like this costume. It has some similarities to Rey's standard TFA costume with the crossed fabric strips held together by a belt and the arm wraps, but the black tunic underneath is quite different. The colors are too. I like the bluish-gray fabric. Is this just what Rey has laying around extra or is this something that pays homage to Luke's Jedi order?
* The texture on the tunic Rey is sporting underneath her "robes" is really cool. I like the material. I'm also liking the noticeable textures on the fabric strips that give it a woven look. It's cool that she kind of has a style while still getting a new outfit.
* Rey also comes with her staff. It's not perfect, but it seems to have a bit sharper of a sculpt than the Jakku verson of Rey had. I think the strap is more effectively placed, too, so that Rey can wear it across her shoulders.
* The accessory included with this release that I was most excited about is the NN-14 blaster pistol that Han Solo gave to Rey on Takodana. This is an incredible design and Hasbro nailed it. The weathering on it is pretty slick, too. I actually bought the die-cast metal Rey figure on clearance to give my Hasbro Jakku Rey this pistol (and a backpack) but I like this one much better.
* Not only does Rey come with the NN-14, but she also has a holster to stow it in. It fits like a glove and is easy to access!
* This isn't a bad looking headsculpt at all; it just doesn't look like Daisy Ridley. I can see "Rey" here, or maybe a really good Rey cosplayer, but I'm not seeing Daisy Ridley. Considering how prominent of a character she is, I hope Hasbro gets a bit closer to the mark with her likeness for the upcoming Resistance Rey figure.
While it seems like action figures of Rey and Kylo Ren have flooded toy shelves for the past two years, picking up these new The Last Jedi versions of the characters really feels very fresh. I love Rey's new outfit. The detail work on this really shows that Hasbro has been making some great improvements with this line. While the headsculpt isn't a perfect likeness, it's still a nice headsculpt. With plenty of accessories and great articulation, Rey is a really fun action figure. She's a Great and a 1/2 Black Series figure! Of course, there is one more Black Series Rey figure that was released on Force Friday wasn't there? Check back soon for another great review...
I've only reviewed a couple of Rey figures, including Hasbro's Black Series Rey (Jakku) & BB-8 and the K-Mart exclusive Rey (Starkiller Base). I've also checked out the Micro Machines Speeder Chase set that includes a micro Rey on her Speeder.
If you're looking for more Black Series figures from Phase III, check out the following:
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Clone Commander Gree
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Grand Admiral Thrawn (SDCC Exclusive)
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Kylo Ren (The Last Jedi)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle