- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast
Monday, October 22, 2018
The Revenge of 31 Days of Toy Terror: Scareglow from Masters of the Universe Classics by Mattel
Height: 6 3/4ths inches
Articulation: Hinged ankles with lateral rockers, boot swivels, hinged knees, swivel thighs, swivel/hinge hips, swivel waist, hinged abdomen, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel biceps, hinged elbows, swivel wrists, and a double ball jointed head.
Accessories: Scythe of Doom, Castle Grayskull Reliquary, key, and cape.
Original Retail Price: $20 dollars
Year of Release: 2009
* Perhaps better than any other figure in the line, Scareglow shows off how the Masters of the Universe aesthetic can be manipulated to create so many cool characters. In the vintage line Scareglow (along with King Randor and Clamp Champ) was a fairly simple figure released as a cost cutter later in the line. While he had a new head sculpt and a cloth cape, the rest of the figure was a glow in the dark repaint of one of the standard bodies from early in the line. That's largely what Scareglow is, too: A new headsculpt on a standard body. He looks incredible, though. While he doesn't look accurately like a skeleton there is still something very cool about him. He looks very supernatural but also like one of the David S. Pumpkins skeleton guys.
* One of the coolest parts of Scareglow is that he glows in the dark. Like his vintage Scareglow, the spooky specter emits a ghoulish, greenish glow that will fill you with dread. It's a great, strong glow and the black paint applications really help to definite the skeletal look when Scareglow is doing his thing. Nice!
* Masters of the Universe Classics had one of my favorite articulation schemes for years and Scareglow still holds up well. He's durable, well articulated, and super fun to play with. I love this line!
* Scareglow's cape is made from molded plastic. It has a very cool, old school feel to it and reminds me of something that a highwayman might wear. It also has some wear and tear along the bottom where the purple fades into a translucent appearance. Mattel did a great job on this cape.
* Scareglow includes his Scythe of Doom. I'm not really sure it's a scythe, though; it's more of a halberd. Mattel would later use this halberd with the Weapons Rack accessory set, which is fitting as the vintage Scareglow's halberd was reused from the Weapons Rack too. Scareglow's weapon is molded in green plastic with a glow in the dark blade and spikes.
* Scareglow includes one of my favorite accessories in the line: The Grayskull Reliquary. This tube features an image of Castle Grayskull on top of it, some weathering to show off its age, and a metal chain attached to a cuff. Interestingly, the reliquary is apparently cursed and Scareglow is always doomed to carry it yet can never open it.
* Oh, that's right! It opens! Inside is a key which is used to open a secret door in the side of Castle Grayskull. Mattel wouldn't release Castle Grayskull for four years after the release of Scareglow in 2009 but this was still a cool inclusion and it turned out even better when it ended up actually interacting with the castle once it was released.
This is the first action figure of Scareglow that I've reviewed on the site. Since he includes a Castle Grayskull accessory, I will point out other Castle Grayskulls I've reviewed: The green M.U.S.C.L.E. Castle Grayskull minifigure and the Masters of the Universe Classics Castle Grayskull playset.
For more Masters of the Universe Classics figures, check out the following:
Beast Man (Blood Red Henchman)
"Buzz Saw" Hordak
End of Wars Weapon Pak
The Fighting Foe Men
Galactic Protector He-Man
Galactic Protector She-Ra
Granamyr (Green Power-Con exclusive)
Heads of Eternia
Laser Power He-Man & Laser Light Skeletor
Loo-Kee and Kowl
Mara of Primus
Ninja Warrior/ Ninjor
Rokkon & Stonedar
Rotar and Twistoid
Sky High with Jet Sled
Snake Armor He-Man and Battle Armor King Hsss
Spirit of Grayskull
Spirit of Hordak
Terror Claws Skeletor & Flying Fists He-Man
The Unnamed One