M.O.T.U.S.C.L.E. and retro styled Masters of the Universe toys. That's pretty wild, right? Super7 kind of reminds me of Funko in that while they're known for their stylized and retro inspired stuff, they can put out some really high quality product when they want to. While it's certainly reasonable to have some concerns and a mixture of excitement and doubt over the line changing hands, I think there is definitely some positive things about this. I kind of feel like no one at Mattel cares about MOTUC right now. For Super7, though, having access to create any MOTU stuff is probably the biggest property they've ever scored. This gives me hope because after receiving my July 2016 shipment of Mattel's Club Eternia product, I kind of feel like Mattel is now the Senior in high school with all of the credits under their belt just waiting for the end of the school year. Crita has been a figure I've wanted for a long time but, as you'll see, Mattel made some really strange choices on her. Read on and find out more about this member of the Evil Space Mutants after the break...
Height: 7 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, hinged knees, swivel thighs, swivel/hinge hips, swivel waist, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel biceps, hinged elbows, swivel wrists, and a double ball-jointed head.
Accessories: Staff, whip staff, and fear gas gun.
Non-Scalper Price: $24-$27 dollars
* I really do dig Crita's look. While the cartoon for the New Adventures of He-Man came out in 1990, there is a decidely late 1980's style to her that's different from the Eternia and Etheria crews. She's quite lovely with a nice pink skin, an awesome Joan Jett inspired hair-do, and some pretty slick jewelry. The paint work on the eyes and lips is excellent, too.
* Crita comes with her cool wand and a transformed version of it that functions more like a whip. Both accessories have a translucent gem at the end and give you a couple of options for arming her when putting Crita on display.
* Crita is also packaged with a gun that I didn't recognize at all. It's apparently a fear gas gun from the New Adventures episode "A Plague On Primus" which I'm not sure I've seen. Again, I love the New Adventures toyline and character designs, but I'm not that big on the show itself. This is an oddly shaped weapon but it's still kind of a cool extra. I dig the utilitarian design of it. It could use a few paint applications, though.
* Unfortunately, Crita has what may just very well be the worst design feature in any MOTUC figure ever: Her cloak. The cloak isn't at all attached to Crita's back. Instead, it's attached permanently to her forearms. What this means is that Crita can hardly raise her arms at all. This is way worse than the Sorceress and nearly ruins this figure for me. I mean, she's can even hold her wand up unless you put one hand behind her back. Just really poor work here, Matty.
* Check out the slop on Crita's cloak! It's awful! I could totally let the little spot on the top pass, but that massive gold line? What's up with that? How did nobody notice that? Again, I already kind of hate this cloak and this is just more fuel for the fire.
* I'm totally digging Crita's hair but it really could have used a darker wash to bring out all of the detail.
* Here's another close-up shot of Crita, so you can see how lovely her face is, but guess what? Looking back at the earlier shots of the figure, she seems to now
be missing her earrings. What an odd thing to leave off as they are part
of the cartoon model for Crita. Want to know another paint application that's missing? Here's a hint: You might as well call this "Party Crita!"
This is the first Crita figure ever released but if you're looking for more Masters of the Universe Classics reviews, check out:
Masters of the Universe Classics by Mattel (2008)
Beast Man (Blood Red Henchman)
"Buzz Saw" Hordak
End of Wars Weapon Pak
The Fighting Foe Men
Galactic Protector He-Man
Galactic Protector She-Ra
Granamyr (Green Power-Con exclusive)
Heads of Eternia
Laser Power He-Man & Laser Light Skeletor
Loo-Kee and Kowl
Mara of Primus
Ninja Warrior/ Ninjor
Rokkon & Stonedar
Rotar and Twistoid
Sky High with Jet Sled
Snake Armor He-Man and Battle Armor King Hsss
Spirit of Grayskull
Spirit of Hordak
Terror Claws Skeletor & Flying Fists He-Man
The Unnamed One