Height: 6 1/2 inches
Articulation: Hinged ankles, hinged knees, swivel thighs, H-hinged hips, swivel waist, hinged mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel biceps, hinged elbows, swivel wrists, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Grappling hook gun, batarang, cape, display stand, and backdrop/card
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* While I haven't reviewed him on here, I did want to point out that this figure is very similar to the DC Universe Classics series 1 Crime Stopper Batman. The body is mostly the same (the hips are retouched a bit) while the accessories are exactly the same. It's the paintjob and the new cape that differentiate these two figures. Can you believe that the Crime Stopper Batman is now 10 years old? Sheesh! Where does time go?
* Batman's sculpt is pretty basic: It's essentially the standard DC Universe Classics body with the Batman gauntlets and belt. That doesn't mean it doesn't look nice, though; while this figure is based on a 10+ year old body, visually I think it's still rather appealing. I like the styled simplicity of most of Mattel's DCUC family of action figures and this Batman fits right in. It's mostly the paint work that transforms this from a standard 1970s/ early 1980s Batman into a Super Friends version, but it works. He also reminds me in passing of Iron Winch Batman, one of my favorite figures from Kenner's The Dark Knight collection.
* The headsculpt is still great as well. You can even see how Mattel gave the facial features visible under the cowl some highlights to help make them standout.
* As I mentioned in the introduction, the presence of this actual fabric cape, attached to the neck with a plastic clip that clips around the neck, is part of what helps to make this guy feel so retro. Kenner used this style of capes for years and it definitely invokes a nostalgia in me for those action figure. It also is surprisingly functional and doesn't look too bad to my eyes.
* Mattel has been giving a few of their Multiverse figures these cool little stands that were first used in the Batman: Classic TV Series line. They're a nice way to display the figures on a shelf. This one is emblazoned with the Super Friends logo on the base. There's also a sturdy cardboard display card that features a shiny version of Batman on one side.
* The other side features part of the Super Friends logo. Presumably, if you purchase all of the figures available you could spell out Super Friends.
* Since Batman uses a standard DC Universe Classics styled body, you know what to expect: It's a standard articulation model that is functional if not overwhelmingly impressive anymore. The figure is nice and sturdy and fun to play with, however. I'd like to see Mattel update this body a bit however, and that leads us into the negatives...
* The legs on this figure are really bad. The thigh joint looks out of place and I'm so done with the H-hinged hips. So done.
* My Batman has this weird defect clearly visible on the left ear of his cowl.
* Last, and possibly least, is this really awkward batarang. It's not black. Or silver. Or blue. I'm guessing this was Mattel's attempt to mimic the way metal is portrayed on the Super Powers cartoon, but this thing just looks terrible. It looks like a broken piece of a saw blade or something.
I've reviewed so many Batman figures that he has his own archive! Check out the Dark Knight Gallery!
For more DC Comics Multiverse reviews, check out the following:
DC Comics Multiverse (6 inches) by Mattel (2016)
Batgirl (The Batgirl of Burnside)
Batman (Batman: Zero Year)
Damian Wayne Robin (Robin War)
Earth 23 Superman
Jim Gordon Batman (Batman: Superheavy)
The Joker (Batman: Endgame)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Armored Batman (The Dark Knight Returns)
Batman & Superman (The Dark Knight Returns)
The Flash & The Atom (Batman: The Dark Knight Returns)
The Joker (The Dark Knight Returns)
Mutant Leader (The Dark Knight Returns)
Robin (The Dark Knight Returns)
Son of Batman
Batman v. Superman
Batman's Grapnel Blaster (Collect & Connect accessory)
Reverse Flash (The Flash TV Series)
Harley Quinn (6 inch)
Harley Quinn (12 inch)
Harley Quinn (Gold Dress)
Harley Quinn (Toys R Us Exclusive)
The Joker (Toys R Us Exclusive)
Diana of Themyscira
Wonder Woman (Toys 'R Us exclusive)