I've probably mentioned it a few times before but other than characters/ figures I just find cool and classic X-Men, the focus of my Marvel Legends collection is comic book versions of characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hasbro has definitely been doing a great job with the live action MCU figures and while I definitely pick some up here and there, I prefer the comic versions. Usually in the most classic outfit I can get for the character, too. For quite some time my default Doctor Strange has been the 2015 Marvel Now! Doctor Strange, so I've anxiously been waiting for a classic update. I'm pretty sure the last classic Strange was released by Toy Biz, so it's been a minute. The version I'm reviewing today is a Walmart exclusive that went up for preorder in October and, from what I'm hearing, it's supposedly only going to be an online exclusive. It was delivered to me at the end of last week and I'm really excited to add this guy to my shelf. When he went up for preorder for $26.49 a lot of folks were surprised at the price hike. It's still high but the set does come with multiple portraits. Is he enough to qualify as a deluxe figure? I'm not sure, but he's better than most other recent releases. Let's take a look at Doctor Strange, the Master of the Mystic Arts and Sorcerer Supreme, after the break...
* Doctor Strange has three portraits you can swap out to give him some different looks. The first portrait is the default Doctor Strange and it's the one I'll probably end up using 99% of the time. It's excellent. Here's Stephen Vincent Strange looking suave, sophisticated, and in charge. I love his ridiculously perfect hair and those roguish eyebrows.
* Next up is a meditating head for Doctor Strange. He's focusing here, perhaps even using his abilities to astral project. It's a cool idea for an alternate head and it looks pretty neat when you pose him like this. The hair is also a bit different, sort of longer and shaggier, or maybe just not combed to perfection like usual.
* Doctor Strange's third head is an oddity: A masked portrait from the time that Asmodeus stole Doctor Strange's identity. Strange ended up wearing a mask to travel into the regular world to defeat Asmodeus and then ended up keeping his mask for awhile to prevent further identity theft. This is a fairly obscure alternate look for Strange (I didn't remember it when I first saw it) but it's a neat extra.
* The articulation is good here. Doctor Strange has pretty standard Marvel Legends articulation, so that means things are solid, movable, and he's lots of fun to play around with. His hips are restricted a bit by the bottom of his tunic but it's not too bad.
* I mentioned earlier that the Cloak of Levitation isn't removable. That might be a bummer for some but I'll admit that I like how it looks on the figure. It's also balanced nicely and you can still stand Stephen up quite well without him toppling backwards. A lot of the weight of the cape seems to be around his shoulders. It's a nice sculpt, too, with a very dramatic collar.
* Strange's cape looks cool but there's a lot of paint slop between the red and yellow. It's not terrible but it is noticeable. It also seems like the edges of the cape could have used a bit more detail.
If you're looking for more of Doctor Strange check out my review of the What If? Doctor Strange Supreme and the Marvel Legends Infinite Series Doctor Strange (Marvel Heroes).
Marvel Legends Series: Avengers by Hasbro
Marvel Legends Series: Black Panther by Hasbro (2017)
Marvel Legends Series: Black Widow by Hasbro (2020)
Black Widow: Deadly Origin
Marvel Legends Series: Captain America by Hasbro (2016)
Demolition Man (Mercenaries of Mayhem)
Marvel Legends Series: Captain Marvel by Hasbro (2019)
Marvel Legends Series: Deadpool by Hasbro (2018)
Marvel Legends Series: Fantastic Four (2017)
Marvel Legends Series: Guardians of the Galaxy by Hasbro (2017)
Marvel Legends Series: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 by Hasbro (2017)
Gamora (Daughters of Thanos)
Nebula (Daughters of Thanos)
Rocket Raccoon & Groot
Captain Marvel & Rescue Armor
Hologram Iron Man
Marvel Legends Series: Silver Surfer by Hasbro (2018)
A.I.M. Scientist Supreme
Marvel Legends Series: The Unbelievable Gwenpool by Hasbro (2018)
Marvel Legends Series: Typhoid Mary by Hasbro (2018)
Marvel Legends Series: Venom by Hasbro (2018)
Doctor Strange Supreme
Post a Comment
What'chu talkin' 'bout?