Darth Maul in the first series of figures from 2013 and it's nice to finally have someone to face off against Maul. I really wish Hasbro would consider moving to themed waves with the Black Series, similar to how recent Marvel Legends often share a loosely binding theme or source. While a full Episode 1 series might have been considered a bit risky, a series focusing on Jedi vs. Sith would have been pretty cool. As it stands now, Hasbro just releases a bunch of random characters. Granted, it's Star Wars, so I'm pretty much down for anyone, but some theme to the releases would be nice. Anyways, let's get back on track: Qui-Gon Jinn. I started thinking about this and I'm pretty sure I haven't purchased a Qui-Gon Jinn action figure since the time when Episode 1 was out in theaters. I know I didn't pick up a Vintage Collection Qui-Gon and I don't think I've ever grabbed any others, either. How weird to consider that this is my first Qui-Gon since either 1999 or, possibly, early 2000 (there was some new Episode 1 stuff coming out around the time of the film's VHS release)!
Height: 6 1/2 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs,
ball jointed hips, ball jointed abdomen, swivel/ hinge shoulders,
swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, a hinged neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Lightsaber (blade and hilt), and an alternate gesturing hand.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* The Black Series figures aren't as articulated as Marvel Legends, but they're still pretty fun to pose. They feel like very solid, sturdy action figures and you can usually get some nice poses out of them. Qui-Gon looks great both standing around talking just talking about midichlorians (which is hard to do!) and dueling with Darth Maul. Heck, he even looks kneeling down in meditation prior to a fateful lightsaber battle.
* Overall, this is a stellar looking figure. Qui-Gon Jinn's tunic is incredibly sculpted and has a nice amount of detail, varying textures, and subtle paint applications. Hasbro did a wonderful job in capturing the Jedi's somewhat rugged appearance. I'm surprised Hasbro hasn't pumped out prequel Jedi figures left and right in this line, but hopefully we'll see a few more since we have a few bases figures to use for the purpose.
Big Cass (how ya doin'?) but I also think it's a pretty decent likeness of Liam Neeson. It's not perfect, but it's better than many others. The paintwork on the facial hair is pretty clean and the eyes are good. In person the eyes look way better than they do here, though, because Hasbro actually made the eyes separate pieces that are then inserted and attached to the portrait. This does make for a much more realistic looking figure and helps to improve the human likeness here (something the Black Series has struggled with). This is a new process and it'll be interesting to see how it progresses.
* Qui-Gon's hair is really well done. The paint apps are fair but the sculpted detail is awesome. It's not a separate piece or anything but the hair is sculpted to look like it's flowing very naturally.
* Qui-Gon's lightsaber is simple, sleek, and looks really good here. The green blade is quite vibrant and the lightsaber hilt seems very film accurate. It detaches at the blade, as have most other sabers in this series. I kind of wish Hasbro would just give us a saber and a separate hilt, but that's apparently not the way they roll these days.
* Like most Force users before him in this toyline, Qui-Gon's lightsaber plugs into his belt. It looks really good there, as does Qui-Gon's belt. The paint detail is pretty sharp and interesting to look at.
*My first negative with this figure is actually not about what's present but about what's missing: Why the heck does Qui-Gon Jinn not have his Jedi robe on. He wears the robe the majority of the time we see him, only taking it off during a few periods of down time and during his fight with Darth Maul. The robe is such a huge part of the character's look that it's absence just seems asinine. No Jedi should come without their robe. None! Heck, we don't even get Qui-Gon's Jedi poncho. Considering this is a $20 line, it's not like folks are going to be lining up to buy multiple Qui-Gon variants. The lack of a robe is a ridiculous problem and I'm not sure why Hasbro keeps repeating it (neither Anakin nor Obi-Wan came with robes, either).
*As I was looking at this figure, I was surprised by how dull his legs and boots seem compared to the rest of the figure. A dark wash or some further paint detail would have helped to make Qui-Gon Jinn's boots look amazing.
This is the first Qui-Gon Jinn figure I've reviewed on here! I have reviewed more Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III figures, though, including:
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib