Mitth'raw'nuruodo, is back in both a new novel by character creator Timothy Zahn and in season 3 of Rebels. Seeing Thrawn in the Black Series was a great surprise and my most anticipated figure of SDCC 2017. While Thrawn will be appearing on Force Friday in the standard Black Series line, this deluxe version of the character was an SDCC exclusive. I picked him up ASAP and I'm glad that I did as he is incredible. Let's take a look at this cool action figure after the break...
Height: 6 1/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed
hips, ball jointed waist, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows,
swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Blaster pistol, two display podiums, Ysalamiri statue, Jedi Temple Guard mask, Commander Gree's helmet, lightsaber, Haakskeekah stone, Kalikori, and the Holy Grail.
Non-Scalper Price: $50 dollars
* Grand Admiral Thrawn looks perfect. I love his crisp, white uniform decorated with epaulets, rank insignia, and code cylinders. Thrawn has a very simple look but Hasbro nailed it perfectly. This is a solid figure of a well loved character, so it's nice to see how awesome he turned out. These figures based on characters appearing in Rebels have all turned out near perfect, haven't they?
* While he's certainly not going to be doing any Spider-Man poses, Thrawn still has good articulation. There's nothing hindering his movement (the bottom of his tunic is made from a very pliable plastic) and he has a full range of motion at every joint. .
* I really like the headsculpt. My picture is definitely showing the sculpt much larger than is, so the eyebrows look a bit too heavy, but in person he looks great. I love the heavy brown lines, the piercing red eyes, and the slicked back black hair.
* Thrawn's belt not only looks like it's made from actual leather and adorned with an actual metal buckle (it's all plastic, though) but it holds his blaster pistol perfectly.
* Here's a close-up of Thrawn's unnamed blaster pistol. This thing is gorgeous and fits perfectly in Thrawn's hands and in his holster. I love the design of this pistol!
* I don't usually talk about packaging, but Thrawn's is pretty unique. It's quite large and features a translucent blue wrap that can fit over the black and white portrait of Thrawn, helping to give the Chiss his familiar blue color. It also folds open in the middle....
* Thrawn finds value in collecting the art and artifacts of those whom he must face in combat, so he has all kinds of cool random stuff lying around (kind of like the headquarters of Action Figure Barbecue!). To help display everything Thrawn comes with two pedestals for holding artifacts. They each have a hole in the top that two specific items can fit into.
* The first is the Kalikori of the Syndulla family. A symbolic piece of family art for Twi'leks, the Syndulla family's Kalikori plays a role in season 3 of Rebels. It plugs into the base of one of Thrawn's pedestals and looks pretty impressive on display. There is some nice sculpting on the various parts of the heirloom.
* The second item that plugs into a pedestal is the Haakskeekah Stone from the film The Dark Crystal. I have no idea why it's here but it certainly doesn't look out of place, does it? The sculpt and paintwork is quite impressive.
* Another cool accessory is the Holy Grail from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I love this accessory! What a cool Easter egg (no pun intended)! The paintwork is quite impressive on this. What makes me even happier, though, is that as I was showing this to my daughter last month, she immediately recognized it as "the cup from Indiana Jones." Parenting points for me!
* Thrawn also comes with a lightsaber. I don't know that anyone has identified this particular lightsaber, so maybe it's just meant to be a generic lightsaber he picked up somewhere in his travels.
* I'm not going to try to rank these accessories in terms of coolness, but if I were this helmet from a Jedi Temple Guard would absolutely be near the top. Not only does it look amazing, but it can actually fit on the Kanan Jarrus figure to reenact some season 3 scenes.
* Another interesting item Thrawn seems to be keeping around is Commander Gree's helmet. It's actually painted differently than the helmet on the Toys 'R Us exclusive Commander Gree figure, but it definitely look cool.
* Last, and certainly not least, is this giant statue of two Ysalamiri staring at each other. While the Ysalamiri were actual living creatures in the Expanded Universe, here they are just statues. It seems like the current canon doesn't want to introduce their Force nullifying powers (which makes sense) so maybe they're mythological beings now?
* Here's a close up of one of the Ysalamiri. It looks really impressive with some cool paintwork to give it a camouflaged appearance.
This is the first Grand Admiral Thrawn collectible I've reviewed on Action Figure Barbecue. I have reviewed plenty of other Star Wars: The Black Series action figures from Phase III, however, including:
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Clone Commander Gree
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run