R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2 three pack from last year. Like many Star Wars fans I love collecting different Clone Troopers, especially the named troopers who appeared in The Clone Wars. While Gree first appeared in Revenge of the Sith, TCW gave the character a personality, making his death in ROTS tragic upon rewatching it. I'm still amazed by how TCW makes the prequels so much better! Anyways, we're not here today to talk about the prequels and TCW, though, are we? We're here to talk about Clone Commander Gree! Toys 'R Us has had a few exclusive Black Series figures over the years, but I do believe that Gree is the most desirable. One thing that's worth nothing is that he retails for $25 dollars, $5 dollars more than your average. Apparently, Hasbro has stated that this is because of his more intricate paint job. Do you think CC-1004 looks better than your average Star Wars: The Black Series figure? Let's take a closer look at this figure after the break...
Height: 6 1/8th inches tall
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs,
swivel/hinge hips, a ball jointed abdomen, swivel/hinge shoulders,
swivel biceps, double hinged elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, a hinged neck,
and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: DC-15A blaster, DC-15 blaster rifle, antenna, and macrobinoculars
Non-Scalper Price: $25 dollars
* To start things off, I will point out that Commander Gree is largely the same as the other Phase II Clone Troopers that have been released in the various exclusive sets. Most of the figure (except for the torso and left hip) are reused, so the articulation is the same, too. Check out that review for the full scoop as I'm mostly going to point out what's new here.
* The torso is new and it looks pretty cool. It's not very different, but it does have the addition of extra sculpted shoulder straps. I really do appreciate that Hasbro doesn't use paint work to create costume elements on these figures; if it's an actual part of the costume, the character tends to get a newly sculpted item.
* The paintwork is really cool on Commander Gree. I'm not sure that I buy Hasbro's claims that the figure costs $5 more because of the paint job (many NECA figures have more intricate paint jobs at lower prices) but I do like the overall look. Gree is wearing camouflaged armor that features lots of wear and tear and weathering, so there is a lot going on here and it looks pretty impressive. Not anything that's going to make non-fans take notice, but still cool.
* Gree's back armor also features some unique tooling. He has a more sophisticated panel on his back with a removable antenna (it's very small, so be careful not to lose it!) and an extra explosive charge on his lower back. The mixture of the newly sculpted parts and the intricate paint job really makes for an impressive figure.
* This is a pretty small detail, but it's cool to see that Hasbro didn't neglect this little pouch on Gree's left hip. It's all a newly sculpted piece and it looks quite authentic.
* Gree comes with the same weapons as nearly every other Clone Trooper in the Black Series: The DC-15A (short blaster) and the DC-15 Blaster Rifle. They're cool and I like the gunmetal plastic they're molded in, but it's odd that they don't have any paint applications considering some of the earlier troopers have had paint applications on their blasters.
* Rubbery joints have returned! Unlike some of the more recent Clones and Stormtroopers, Commander Gree's elbows feel a but too rubbery. Sometimes you are moving the joint while other times you're just bending the elbows.
I haven't reviewed any other action figures of Clone Commander Gree but I have reviewed plenty of other figures from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III:
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III (6 inch) by Hasbro (2015)
Siege Battalion Clone Trooper, 212th Attack Battalion Utapau Trooper,
Coruscant Guard ---(Phase II), and 501st Legion Clone Trooper 4 pack
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial AT-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Princess Leia Organa
R2-A3, R5-K6, and R2-F2
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
X-34 Landspeeder & Luke Skywalker (SDCC Exclusive)
X-Wing Pilot Asty
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run