Confirmed Epic Podcast next week). Now let's talk about one of my disappointments (which I really don't think is a spoiler, but your mileage may vary): Mera has a very, very small role in the movie. Maybe 5 minutes of screen time. I assumed she wasn't going to have a starring role but I did think she would play a bigger part throughout considering her prevalence in marketing materials. She'll definitely have a much larger role in next year's Aquaman so I guess we should consider her appearance in Justice League to be similar to the cameos of the Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman in BvS. This Mera figure is an Amazon exclusive and just started shipping in the past week or two. Let's take a closer look at her after the break...
Height: 6 1/2 inches
Articulation: Hinged ankles, hinged knees, swivel thighs, swivel/hinge hips, swivel waist, mid-torso hinge, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel wrists, and a balljointed head.
Accessories: Alternate water spraying hands and a spear.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* Mera is definitely one of the nicest figures in Mattel's Justice League subset of the DC Comics Multiverse line. Take a cool character like Mera who hasn't been featured in any of Mattel's DC lines and add in a great sculpt that shows off her detailed Atlantean armor and you have a winner. This is a pretty nice looking figure overall certainly befitting a Queen of Atlantis.
* Mera's articulation, while still a step behind what Hasbro is doing in Marvel Legends, is pretty good. Rather than the H-hinged hips that still show up in this line Mera has standard swivel/hinge hips that work so much better. Most of her joints (other than her neck, due to the hair) have a solid range of motion, too.
* Here's a close up so you can see the detail and paintwork on Mera's armor. This is quite nice and shows off the high quality work Mattel is capable of when working on a cool design.
* Mera includes a spear that has a small barb on the back. It's not the most impressive looking weapon but it definitely gets the job done and gives her something to use in fighting off Parademons.
* One of the coolest aspects of the figure are these swappable hands that depict Mera manipulating the water around her. The water effects are molded in translucent blue plastic and feature some white paint applications to give the water a foamy, choppy appearance. The hands do swap pretty easily, too, so that's a plus. This reminds me quite a bit of the feature on the Suicide Squad Diablo figure but it seems to work a bit better.
* I saved the headsculpt for last as I'm a bit torn on it. Ultimately, after lots of back and forth, I think it's a pretty decent headsculpt. It may not quite capture Amber Heard's likeness as Mera but it definitely is a decent looking headsculpt for the character. You could easily integrate this figure into your DCUC collection (since that line never produced Mera) and fill a slot. The paintwork is clean and her Atlantean crown looks awesome.
* The pegs for Mera's wrists are a but loose. This means that swapping out the hands is an easy task but sometimes while posing her the hands do tend to pop out. Make sure you don't lose them!
So far the only other Mera toys I've reviewed are the DC Collectibles Bombshells Mera action figure and the Lil Bombshells Mera.
Batgirl (The Batgirl of Burnside)
Batman (Batman: Zero Year)
Batman (DC Rebirth)
Batwing (DC Rebirth)
Damian Wayne Robin (Robin War)
Duke Thomas (We Are Robin)
Earth 23 Superman
The Flash: From Page to Screen
Jim Gordon Batman (Batman: Superheavy)
The Joker (Batman: Endgame)
The Reaper (Batman: Year Two)
Rookie (Collect & Connect figure)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Armored Batman (The Dark Knight Returns)
Batman & Superman (The Dark Knight Returns)
The Flash & The Atom (Batman: The Dark Knight Returns)
The Joker (The Dark Knight Returns)
Mutant Leader (The Dark Knight Returns)
Robin (The Dark Knight Returns)
Son of Batman
Batman v. Superman
Batman's Grapnel Blaster (Collect & Connect accessory)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Reverse Flash (The Flash TV Series)
Batman (Wal-Mart Exclusive)
Cyborg (Wal-Mart Exclusive)
Mother Boxes (Collect & Connect Accessory)
Steppenwolf (Collect & Connect Figure)
Harley Quinn (6 inch)
Harley Quinn (12 inch)
Harley Quinn (Gold Dress)
Harley Quinn (Toys R Us Exclusive)
The Joker (Toys R Us Exclusive)
Diana of Themyscira
Wonder Woman (Toys 'R Us exclusive)
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast