- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
- Evil-Lyn's Dungeon
- The Fright Zone
Saturday, November 4, 2017
Action Figure Review: Duke Thomas (We Are Robin) from DC Comics Multiverse by Mattel
Height: Just shy of 6 inches
Articulation: Hinged ankles, hinged knees, swivel thighs, H-hinged hips, swivel/waist, mid-torso hinge, swivel/hinge shoulders, hinged elbows, swivel wrists, and a balljointed head.
Accessories: Alternate helmeted head, nunchaku, gas canister, and the left leg for the Rookie Collect & Connect figure.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* I really like the look of this figure! Not only is it a cool looking action figure but it even seems to capture the art style of We Are Robin in a way that still ensures the figure fits in with the rest of the Multiverse line. The detail on Duke's red leather jacket is great and the proportions are spot on. I like that Duke is actually fairly short here (just shy of 6 inches), making him appear more like a teenager than the other heroes in the line.
* The headsculpt bears a nice resemblance to Duke and his unique hairstyle is captured nicely. The paintwork isn't too bad, either. If you're familiar with the character from the comics then this headsculpt should be quite recognizable.
* Duke also comes with a helmeted headsculpt that captures one of the looks he sometimes sported as part of the We Are Robin movement. This is another excellent portrait and features some nice paintwork. The helmet is nicely distinct from the facial features, making this actually look and feel like someone wearing a helmet.
* Duke's pants are very cool. I love the design and color of them. Of course, he's also go some knee pads and a but of a utility belt going on. The sculpt is just aces here.
* Duke in includes two accessories: A pair of nunchaku and a canister of some sort. Probably a gas canister. I can't place it exactly but it's fitting for a vigilante. Both accessories feature some paint applications to help give them some extra depth.
* Duke includes the left leg for the Rookie. I'll review this guy fully in a couple of days but, for now, let's just say he looks pretty cool.
* Duke's articulation is just OK. When he was first shown at Toy Fair the articulation looked to be greatly improved. Instead, Duke seems to actually be missing some joints other figures have such as bicep or elbow swivels. His ankles, while apparently hinge joints, are so far down in his shows that they're useless. He's a good quality figure, but the articulation is lacking.
* I love Duke's puffy, oversized sneakers. I don't like the paint slop on his right sneaker, though.
This is the first Duke Thomas figure I've reviewed but not the first Robin. I've also looked at the Lego Arkham Asylum Breakout which includes a Tim Drake Robin, the Multiverse Damian Wayne Robin, the DKR Carrie Kelly Robin, and the Nano Metalfigs Robin that comes with the Batcave playset.
If you're looking for more Multiverse reviews, check out the following:
Batgirl (The Batgirl of Burnside)
Batman (Batman: Zero Year)
Batman (DC Rebirth)
Batwing (DC Rebirth)
Damian Wayne Robin (Robin War)
Earth 23 Superman
Jim Gordon Batman (Batman: Superheavy)
The Joker (Batman: Endgame)
The Reaper (Batman: Year Two)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Armored Batman (The Dark Knight Returns)
Batman & Superman (The Dark Knight Returns)
The Flash & The Atom (Batman: The Dark Knight Returns)
The Joker (The Dark Knight Returns)
Mutant Leader (The Dark Knight Returns)
Robin (The Dark Knight Returns)
Son of Batman
Batman v. Superman
Batman's Grapnel Blaster (Collect & Connect accessory)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Reverse Flash (The Flash TV Series)
Batman (Wal-Mart Exclusive)
Cyborg (Wal-Mart Exclusive)
Mother Boxes (Collect & Connect Accessory)
Steppenwolf (Collect & Connect Figure)
Harley Quinn (6 inch)
Harley Quinn (12 inch)
Harley Quinn (Gold Dress)
Harley Quinn (Toys R Us Exclusive)
The Joker (Toys R Us Exclusive)
Diana of Themyscira
Wonder Woman (Toys 'R Us exclusive)