Let's take a look at Trap Jaw, another figure from the most recent series of Masters of the Universe Mega Construx minifigures. Mega Construx first released Trap Jaw in early 2021 in one of the Skeletor head sets where he was packed with the Castle Grayskull laser cannon. That version of the figure was based on his minicomic appearance, however, and is quite different than the Filmation inspired figure we have here. Trap Jaw is definitely a popular guy and I'm sure most collectors of this line are glad to have a more traditional Trap Jaw for their shelf, too. Let's take a look at this stalwart member of Skeletor's crew after the break...
Height: 2 inches
Articulation: Hinged knees, balljointed hips, swivel waist, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/ hinge left elbow, swivel left wrist, balljointed head, and a hinged jaw.
Accessories: Four swappable hand weapons and display stand.
Non-Scalper Price: $5 dollars
* Here's a comparison shot of this Trap Jaw (left) and the minicomic Trap Jaw from the Trap Jaw & Laser Cannon set (right). The colors are obviously different (in recent years Trap Jaw has been identified as a blue skinned Gar, like Keldor, whose head has gangrened due to Skeletor ripping off his jaw and the lower bodies are different. The minicomic Trap Jaw has the traditional boots and furry trunks while the classic Trap Jaw has the armored legs and boots.
* Trap Jaw is such a great looking minifigure with bright colors that just jump out. Trap Jaw is easily one of the best minifigures in the Mega Construx line. He has the same rubbery belt as the previous figure little slits for weapons and the armored shoulder harness is very well executed. I'm a little surprised Mattel gave him the pink arm instead of the black arm of the vintage toy so maybe we'll see another variant down the road?
* The headsculpt is excellent too, especially in this smaller scale. The paint details on his eyebrows and eyes are impressive considering how small they are. He's got the little loop on top for allowing him to glide down a string and an actual hinged mouth that really works.
* Trap Jaw's arm doesn't have an elbow joint but it does have a great sculpt and moves at the shoulder and the wrist. It's very cool! Again, the pink/ magenta is very Filmation inspired here. There have been a few Filmation inspired Mega Construx pieces, so someone is obviously a fan.
* Trappy comes with four different weapons for his arm. You've got his standard hook, the fly swatter from the Filmation cartoon series, the laser cannon, and a claw. They swap nicely and stay on securely!
* Like the rest of the figures in this line Trap Jaw is well articulated and ready for battle. These really are some of the nicest minifigures out there and they're incredibly fun. If you haven't picked up one yet and you're either a MOTU fan or a minifigure fan, you really need to. They're exceptional.
* Lastly Trap Jaw comes with a stand. It's a simple display stand with his name on it. This is a great little stand for displaying the figure, even if you want to put him in more extreme poses.
Guess what? Trap Jaw now has his own review archive! Visit Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap for all of the Trap Jaw/ Kronis reviews you could possibly hope for!
For more Masters of the Universe Mega Construx reviews check out the following:
Mega Construx continues to do great things with their MOTU line. So awesome.ReplyDelete
They really are doing a fabulous job. I'm excited to see how things develop with Snake Mountain.Delete
I've really liked both versions of Trap Jaw but I don't feel the need for any more. A 'vintage toy' one would just be this one with the weapons in black and I've no desire for the dull looking Kronis, or Skeletor as Keldor. Ugh. I hate the entire concept of Keldor, I prefer the 'demon from another dimension' he was in the early mini-comics, the Filmation show (as confirmed by the Sorceress in the Greatest Adventures of All video promo) and the Revelation comic, over the dodgy uncle with even dodgier facial hair. :PReplyDelete
He could have all black boots and darker colors but, yeah, he wouldn't be that exciting. I myself would be fine with Kronis and Keldor, kind of a Mega Construx version of the Rise of Evil set, though there are plenty of new characters that need to be made first.ReplyDelete